Old habits die hard I guess

hillgurl
on 6/8/15 12:35 am
VSG on 04/29/15

hey sleeved on 4/29 except for the discovery of a h pylori infection w/ the 2wk treatment all is well. In the past week I have found I don't know when I am hungry. That's issue one also I am having problems w/ what to eat. Things I feel should not sit well ex. Shrimp w/ salad or rotisserie chic is not making me sick. Also found alot of the sugar free stuff was making me sick so I made the decision to gradually add things like Gatorade and reg Greek yogurt. Long story short am I setting myself up for failure? Am I doing too much to soon? Help!

Gwen M.
on 6/8/15 7:38 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you allowed to be eating shrimp and chicken at this point?  

Remember that you're still healing - restriction won't kick in until your stomach is healed and, until then, you can really damage yourself be eating things you shouldn't.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

wyo_sarah
on 6/8/15 8:41 am

My sleeve has never caused me to be sick. I didn't think that was the goal. Also, I don't think you should be feeling hungry at all. I'm 10 months post op and I rarely feel hungry and usually I think I'm hungry but I'm actually thirsty or bored.  I eat on a schedule so I know I'm getting enough protein and not snacking.  Don't eat things that you think you shouldn't. While you are healing and losing you don't want to test the waters to see what sits well and what doesn't. Make good choices based on the guidelines given you by your surgeon.

Tracy D.
on 6/8/15 11:14 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You may not be able to tell for a long, long time whether you are "hungry" or not.  That's why you need to eat on a schedule in the appropriate amounts outlined by your surgeon.  At 6 weeks out I was abled to handle salad shrimp and soft, canned chicken.  Nothing wrong with you if you can handle it -- but you should only be eating 1-2 oz. at a time.  

Steer clear of ANY sugar-free items or sugared items.  The sugar-free stuff causes too much gastric distress (gas and diarreha) and the sugared stuff has too many carbs in it and will absolutely set you up for failure.  

Do not drink regular Gatorade - it's crap and you don't need it.  Use plain Greek yogurt and add some berries and a bit of Stevia for sweetener.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/8/15 11:42 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I didn't feel hungry at all for quite a while after surgery. I found it very helpful to set alarms on my phone that would remind me when to eat, that way I made sure to get enough food.

Everyone can have different reactions to foods. I had trouble with eggs at first, others are able to eat them with no trouble. Chicken seems to be tolerated by many/most people, why would you think it should make you sick?

You'll want to be careful with the sugar products. They can have a lot of empty calories-- one bottle of regular Gatorade is 200 calories, which is a LOT when you're shooting for ~600/day! Plus many folks find that having carbs, sugar included, cause cravings that are difficult to deal with. Have you tried different sugar substitutes (splenda vs. stevia vs. whatever) to see if any sit better?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hillgurl
on 6/8/15 12:08 pm
VSG on 04/29/15

thanks for the replies. I think I'm just over thinking things. Sat down and really thought about the sugar thing and I think I'm gonna tough it out with the sugar free stuff. It's like the saying goes in for a penny in for a pound. Gotta follow things to a t. Just been dealing with alot of stuff trying to recoup, my mom being sick, and being laid off from work for the next 3 months. It will all work out in the end.

emelar
on 6/8/15 2:10 pm - TX

I never got sick from any food, as long as I measured my portions and chewed well.  At 6 weeks, I was eating chicken, tuna, shrimp, eggs, yogurt.  Be happy you have a strong stomach that's recovered well from surgery!

I never lost my appetite or my feelings of hunger.  But they were so much more controllable after surgery, even today.  A little bit of food satisfies.

So, no, I don't think you're setting yourself up for failure.  You sound totally normal.  Follow your plan's guidelines for quantity and kind of food and you'll be fine. 

hollykim
on 6/8/15 7:48 am, edited 6/8/15 7:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 8, 2015 at 12:35 AM Pacific Time, hillgurl wrote:

hey sleeved on 4/29 except for the discovery of a h pylori infection w/ the 2wk treatment all is well. In the past week I have found I don't know when I am hungry. That's issue one also I am having problems w/ what to eat. Things I feel should not sit well ex. Shrimp w/ salad or rotisserie chic is not making me sick. Also found alot of the sugar free stuff was making me sick so I made the decision to gradually add things like Gatorade and reg Greek yogurt. Long story short am I setting myself up for failure? Am I doing too much to soon? Help!

I am ne ver hungry still,at 5 years out. I eat bythe clock now,every 2-3 hours. I never had any trouble with any food. Some ppl don't,some do. Just cause some do,doesn't meant you should be concerned that you don't. That is normal for you,don't compare to others. It will only drive you crazy.

Most Active
Recent Topics