Travel to Asia...Advice for staying on plan?

Sarah M.
on 6/8/15 8:15 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

Hi,

I'm headed to Singapore & Indonesia (Bali & Lombok) in mid-July.  I've been getting all my shots, stockpiling the protein, and trying to develop a plan for how I'm going to handle food/eating before I go.  Here's where I am so far...

- I've never been to either of these countries, so I'm going to enjoy my trip.  Part of that will be trying new foods -- within limits.

- I recognize that I won't be able to track everything, as I'm sure I won't always know what I'm eating & if I do, not sure it will be in the Spark People/MFP app.  Where Wifi is available, I will do my best.

- All that said, I'm going on this trip to experience Singapore & build a school in Indonesia (just the painting & sorting books part...I'm not physically coordinated enough to wield a hammer.)  I'm not there to eat.  Experiencing those cultures goes so far beyond food.

- I know satay is big in Singapore, so that's a good protein-first option whenever possible.  Have no clue what the food will be like in Bali/Lombok...will need to do more research there.  I DO know that leaving food on your plate is considered good manners (so I'm told), so I'll have that in spades.

What are your thoughts?  Does the plan above (albeit a skeleton plan) sound right?  Any advice?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Dan1962
on 6/8/15 9:22 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

You will find cultures very high in carbs.  My ex wife is just a little thing, 4' 11" and 95 pounds, and has always been in control of her weight, lived over there for a year and gained 20 pounds.  She says the carbs for every meal did her in.  Stick with as much meat a fish as possible....avoid the noodles and rice......might be a challenged depending upon how it is served.  Good Luck! 

Sarah M.
on 6/8/15 10:02 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

In researching the food - in Singapore mainly - all the rice and noodles have popped out at me!  Thanks for the heads up, and it reinforces my need to stick to Satay!!  Hold the peanut sauce...

frisco
on 6/8/15 9:37 am

Hey Sarah,

Asia is pretty easy as far as international travel goes.

Most meals are "commonly" a protein and veg dish with rice in a separate bowl. Yes, there will be noodle dishes also, but pretty much separate.

I know how much you can eat so just keep it to what you could hold in a cupped hand. The other visual is a deck of cards for a solid piece of protein.

Maybe send a note to Dr.C and tell him about your trip and ask what over the counter meds you can take with you and he even may call in a script for you. These would be for upset stomach and such. Not that there will be bad food, but in any travels even within the U.S. there will be different bacterias that your body may not be used to.

PM me if you need more info.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Sarah M.
on 6/8/15 10:00 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

Thanks for the info -- I appreciate it.  I've been working with a travel clinic, but contacting Dr. C is something that didn't occur to me (which is insane now that I think about it.)  Thanks for the reminder!

frisco
on 6/9/15 11:12 am

The other thing to note.... and not to scare you, just info every VSGer should know.....

In case of emergency treatment in any hospital here or abroad.

Let them know that you have had a "Partial Gastrectomy"...... most won't know what a VSG is, after they understand partial gastrectomy than you can tell them Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

psychoticparrot
on 6/8/15 10:29 am

First of all, you lucky dog to be able to travel to Asia! Indonesia is in the tropics, so fresh vegetables, fruit, and fish should be abundant. Minimize the amount of noodles and rice you eat, if you eat any at all.

You lucky dog! 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Oneillch
on 6/8/15 1:13 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Have fun, don't forget to bring your vitamins/supplements you may take because they may not be readily available. Whenever possible drink bottled water or hot teas and avoid having drinks with ice cubes. 

Cuparian
on 6/9/15 9:45 am
VSG on 05/13/15

Hi,

I love both these countries, eat from street venders, watch that the meat fish is cooked well and in front of you, tell the venders you want mostly meat and fish, advantage you get meal, move away and eat in a park on the move, so NO pressure to finish the meal or feel any pain if you throw away the carbs.

Food is so cheap you will eat very well, have good flavours, but still be in control.

NO tap, un-bottled water or ice ........ I do not ever break this rule, pay for sealed bottled water only, wipe the cap and rim when opened and no glass (maybe take a staw) glass are often just rinsed in .............. well not a dishwasher lets say.

Best advice ENJOY the people, and I guarantee in Singapore you will hear "Wanna buy a Rolex" more than once.

PS goes without saying NO ILLEGAL Drugs :-) a long stretch in those countries does not mean length of time in jail :-)

Kathy S.
on 6/9/15 10:04 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Sarah,

What a great trip you have coming up. Best way to stay on track?  Take me  

Have a great time and as everyone as said you should have great choices of healthy proteins and veggies.  We can't wait to hear about your trip when you get back...

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics