nervous about surgery

gettingreal
on 6/8/15 7:55 am

I'm in the same boat... my surgery is scheduled for this Friday.  Since I'm relatively "light" and very active, I'm starting to doubt if I need the surgery.  But then I recall that I've been able to (in the past) lose up to 25 pounds but never am able to sustain it.  I'm convinced, as are my health care providers, that this is the right long term solution for me.  So I'm putting the fears aside and focusing on the positives.  I'm not telling anyone other than my husband and our oldest child (she's 17).  I've already lost 25-ish pounds via diet and exercise, and have shared with close friends that I'm intending to lose more under a physician-supervised weight program.  That's what I'm comfortable with, and it's no one else's business.  Good luck to you!

texasbumpkin
on 6/8/15 9:28 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Thank you all for your support.  I am glad that other people have had the same experiences as me.  I am nervous but have to look at the positives that will come from this and not the negatives.  I need to do this for me.  I want to be able to go for a full weekend hike on the AT and not have to worry about my knee or my back, about having to stop every half hour to catch my breath.  I want to be able to go to Goodwill and by clothes. I want to fit in a plane seat and not have to ask for a seatbelt extender and incroatch on my husbands seat space.  Most of all I want to decrease my risk for any more damage to my joints, decrease my risk for diabetes which runs in my family, and feel better.  

Thank you for all your answers.  I feel better about my choice.

Ariann555
on 6/8/15 10:27 am
RNY on 06/12/15

I am very nervous, my surgery is June 12th. I had a hard time sleeping last night, I think it is because it is getting so close. I have so many thoughts, how will I feel? Can I really change my bad habits? Everything is running through my mind. I have told a lot of people, my parents, husband, brother, sisters, my work. I feel that they are going to know something is up and instead of having to answer a bunch of questions later, they will all know. This is something huge to deal with, but its to better us forever. I also want to better my kids and teach them the right way to eat so they do not have to go through the same thing we have. Good Luck and dont let others get you down!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/8/15 11:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yup, lots of worries. At one point, I convinced myself that I wouldn't make it off the operating table and wrote up "goodbye" notes to my family members. But my surgeon said that being worried about the future meant that I really understood what I was getting in for, which was a very good point.

There are a lot of unknowns involved in surgery, even if you read everything that's ever been written. You won't really know how to tackle things like what you'll eat and how you'll buy new clothes until you get there. And that's totally OK! There are TONS of resources out there, including your surgeon's office, books, and the people here, who can help you figure out your "new normal." Sure, there'll be trial and error, but there's some of that with ANY big life change, like moving into a new house or starting a new job.

As far as others' opinions go, the bottom line is that it's your body and your decision, nobody else gets a say in that. If they think you're making a mistake, you just get to prove them wrong and make them eat their words on down the line when you're successful.

One thing that's helped me is to make lists of the things I'm worried about, especially before surgery. Then look at everything you write down and see how you can address it. If you have questions about complications, bring the list to your doctor and ask him/her for things you can do to help prevent problems. If you have worries about your spouse, use it as a conversation starter to talk to him/her about what effect things might have on your relationship. Name it and claim it!

I'd suggest searching the forum archives for things you're worried about, too. Lots of people have posted about their relationships, for example, and that can help give you some peace of mind to see how others have gone through things.

You've got this! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kathy S.
on 6/8/15 11:54 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It's normal to be nervous  Take it one day at a time and work your tool and you will be fine

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

hollykim
on 6/8/15 7:55 am, edited 6/8/15 7:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 7, 2015 at 3:46 PM Pacific Time, texasbumpkin wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else out there was nervous about having the surgery.  I am worried about all the changes - body, food, spouse, etc.  I am also nervous about complications.  I am also worried about all the negative things people at work have said to me when they found out that I was going to have surgery. Has anyone else had these?   Thanks

I was worried about surgery too,but not WLS. I couldn't wait to get I that table!

i was worried about the surgeries I would have to have if I didn't get my diabetes under control. I was worried about having surgery every year or two to take off more and more of my legs. I was worried about surgery to get shunts put in to take dialysis through when my kidneys burned out from diabetes.

Youjust have to get I in perspective. And those ppl you told?Do nt. Even discuss it with them

Do you feel like you have to discuss ALL your medical issues with them? Well, this IS a medical ISSUE too. 

Most Active
Recent Topics