Happy Hour

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/8/15 3:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've found that LOTS of places have sugar-free lemonade in the soda fountain, so I usually get that when going to a brewpub or similar place. That would be one to ask about. You can also ask if they can dress up some water for you, fancy-style! Still water with mint and lime is fabulous, and looks like a ****tail if they put it in a fancy glass.

I've found the key is to be really nice to the servers or whoever is taking the drink orders. When they're going around, you can (quietly) say something like, "I don't drink, do you have anything nonalcoholic that's not fizzy?" I've never had anyone look at me funny for it, and it's never been a big deal as long as I'm polite. Usually the servers are very helpful! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 6/6/15 10:09 am - MI

My nephews wedding was when I was 2 months post op. I had water in a short glass with a lime! It looked like I was drinking vodka and tonic. The bartender asked me if I was a friend of bills and I didn't know who the hell bill was.....so I said yes. Apparently that is code for a recovering addict! Lol, the bartender hooked me up all night and no one was none the wiser! 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

samanthalc
on 6/6/15 11:21 am
with

LOVE that tip :)

hollykim
on 6/8/15 2:34 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 5, 2015 at 4:52 PM Pacific Time, samanthalc wrote:

We have lots of work happy hours, and I don't usually go to them.  I really need to frequent them more often for work political reasons.  I was never a big drinker before surgery, and I'm still only 3 weeks out now, but in another 4 weeks I'm going to try a happy hour.  I understand some of us metabolize alcohol differently now.  For those that found this to be true, can you say a little something about this?  In other words, did you experience that for every one drink consumed post-op, it was the equivalent of two pre-op?  

My plan is to get a single drink and nurse it over an extended period.  My hope is I don't wind up with my legs around my bosses face afterward.  

be prepared for your weight loss to stop or a gaintoccur if you go this route. Alcohol is a sure fire weight loss stopper.

cabcab
on 6/10/15 7:31 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with

I didn't try drinking for at least two months post op.  But once I did it the alcohol did affect me a lot differently.  At first when I would drink it would hit me realy fast, but not last for very long.  But that got back to normal over time.  The long term difference is that I don't get hangovers.  I might be tired and not feeling exactly 100%, but I don't get those debilitating "I'm never drinking again" hangovers that I would get before surgery.  Not sure that's a good thing though!!

HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

LeapSecond
on 6/11/15 6:11 am - AR

If I was going to drink alcohol in front of my peers for political reasons... It would not be a first time try after WLS.  Pre OP I drank alcohol frequently for pain control.  I make wine and bottled up the last I had fermenting.  I had 1/2 glass recently.  It was like drinking a whole bottle.  It put me in the bed.  Almost all day.  Felt awful even the next day.  I would not have done well in a social setting.  No concern for transfer addiction cause I hate the results.  I am almost nine months out.    

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

FuturePinUp
on 6/11/15 10:15 am

I like the water and lemon idea! Or something that looks ****tail-fancy. Let the naysayers do and say what they will, but each person's recovery is different and ultimately you should listen to your doctor. My surgeon and nutritionist tell me I can drink after 3 months and I absolutely plan on doing so, when the occasion arises. I likely will never drink beer again (or at least not in the quantities I have in the past), but I am still looking forward to happy hours or boozy brunches with friends and wine. I love wine. The key is to be prepared and to adjust - I make sure I am always actively aware of the transfer issue, and can plan for the negative diet effects of drinking - by adding on exercise that day, staying away from "bad" foods during and after drinking, etc.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Recent Topics