Happy Hour

psychoticparrot
on 6/5/15 8:47 pm

Pass the popcorn. 

Oneillch
on 6/5/15 8:16 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

How about having a "Virgin" Mary with lots of ice & a celery stirrer. Yum!

samanthalc
on 6/6/15 7:48 am
with

When available, this is an excellent option.  Thank you!

WereYorkie
on 6/5/15 8:39 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Ask for a water and put it in a short glass... looks like vodka. There... you go to "Happy Hour" and no one knows the difference. 

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

cappy11448
on 6/5/15 9:47 pm

My program said no alcohol for the first three months.  I didn't try any alcohol until I was 5 months out, when I went to a wedding that served a different wine with each course of the dinner.  I waited until the last course and then had maybe half of one glass.  It worked out fine.

I'm two years post op now and I'll have a glass of wine occasionally, and I find that it affects me about twice as much as before surgery.  One glass of wine now is like two glasses pre-surgery. 

Other than concerns for transfer addiction, alcohol can decrease your resolve to stick to the food plan, so I'd recommend staying away from it as much as possible.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

butterfly3851
on 6/5/15 9:49 pm - TX

Most people are waiting for the drama on here because this has always been a very hotly contested topic.  it's not a good idea to drink alcohol at this early in your process.  As we also know, it's not great idea to drink your calories unless it's a protein shake.  Also, being surrounded by bar food is also hard to be around.  

So this is my experience - I probably waited about 6 months before I had a drink - glass of wine.  I really miss having a mixed drink but no more cause of the carbonation.  I've found that having a drink while waiting for a table on an empty stomach hit me really hard and really scared me - haven't done that again.  It was a different feeling - it didn't feel like two drinks- it felt like I was drunk & room spinning really fast.  Hard to describe.  

I've found at happy hour my friends were so excited about my weight loss that they understood me having a glass of iced tea instead of a drink.  In the winter, a cup of coffee is a great thing also at happy hour for me.  A good thing for me to order is a shrimp ****tail.  Sometimes - I do nurse a glass of wine for a really long time when I'm in at a party or happy hour - but it is not good for my weight loss at all.

Sometimes being around bar food is not a good idea for me for me to resist so sometimes I stay away for that reason.  Also, if I'm feeling social pressure to drink - not a good idea.  I've found most people really are more concerned with having their own good time that they don't pay any attention to the fact that you are not drinking.  

Alcohol = Calories = Sugar    not a good thing.  Save the alcohol for a little later out and for special occasions!  Just my humble opinion on this weight loss journey - everyone's experience is different.  

Good luck to you!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/5/15 10:41 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Was it Susan Powter who always said "Stop the Insanity "?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

happyteacher
on 6/5/15 10:36 pm, edited 6/5/15 10:39 pm

Prior to surgery I was not a big drinker at all, so it is an "apples to apples" type comparison for me, due to have zero established tolerance established before surgery. Without any doubt, the alcohol hits me far faster. If I drink 1 glass of wine I am typsy. If I drink it fast, for sure no driving for me. If I drink 2, I am hammered. The weird thing is how it hits. For example, I sip on  a glass of wine over an hour and not too much of an issue. If I drink it in 5 minutes I don't feel it at first, but then it is like fipping a light switch and it hits hard.... but it doesn't "last" as long either. IMHO you should identify a non-alcoholic drink that is low in calores. If that absolutely is not an option some places offer "skinny margaritas" and those really are not too bad for calories, albeit nothing good for you in it. I would go with a bottle of perrier and a twist of lime (assuming the carbanoation is tolerable for you). It looks like a drink without all the calories :)

And be careful not to rationalize alcohol. It is a major transfer addiction issue for surgery folks. On a final note, it is entirely possible to go to a happy hour and not drink alcoholic drinks. That is my normal thing. I am pegged as a non-drinker type, but that is a non-issue. People don't think twice about it. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

samanthalc
on 6/6/15 12:47 am, edited 6/6/15 12:52 am
with

Thanks to those who took the time to offer thoughtful advice and experiences.  I'm very early out, just a few days into my third week.  I'd seen posts about transfer addiction pre-op, but admit it escaped my mind.  I've not been on this board as long as many *****sponded have.

I'm allowed alcohol at 7 weeks, but I don't much enjoy it so I'm not eager to drink.  The question arose for me because the specific happy hours I go to are usually hosted where there are two or three options.  (For example, at a wine and cheese at a residence where the options are red wine, white wine, and a specific ****tail.)  Attending them is not really optional, but I do think for many I can work around the options and ask for noncarbonated, nonalcoholic drinks.  Worst case, I can hold a half glass and walk around all evening.  I've done worse.

Many thanks again!

Tracy D.
on 6/8/15 11:38 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Your host would absolutely provide other options for someone who they knew was alcoholic or who had a medical reason for not being able to drink alcohol.  You're in the same boat - there are very compelling medical reasons why you should not be drinking right now.  

You can simply say that you're taking medication that you can't mix with booze and walk around with some mineral water all night.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics