Post-op day one and all ready worried

Keeks911
on 6/4/15 9:09 pm - SALEM, OR

In order to be discharged I had to prove that I could drink 1oz every 15 mins for two consecutive hours. No biggy I thought. I had done one hour here and one hour there, and I wanted to go home.

They sent me to get an xray and make sure my new stomach is working. It is. However, since then when I drink anything, it feels like it just sits in my esophagus.  It's a strange sensation and I'm worried. I will call doctor in the morning but until then I am worried.

Should I be? They don't expect the protein and fluid goals to be met the first couple of days but I'm not even close. 

I'm pretty worried about it.

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/15 9:54 pm

You are wise to consult your doctor/surgeon in the morning. I will tell you that when I get that feeling in my esophagus it is because my stomach is full. Once full, the only place for anything I put down the hatch is going to be back up into my throat because the pyloric valve is closed at the base of my stomach. In your case, I have a feeling you are really swollen and even the small amount of liquid you are able to get down is taking a long time to make its way down to your gut.

It's normal to be worried. You've had major, life changing surgery. Naturally, you're on edge and hyper-vigilant. Give your surgeon a call first thing tomorrow and see what he/she has to say. Until then try to relax. My guess is that you are experiencing normal swelling and the symptoms that go along with the swelling.

Thinking healing thoughts for you!

happyteacher
on 6/5/15 6:04 am

I experienced that as well. I had a hiatel hernia that I associated it with, but agree with Karik that when it kicked in overall it indicated to slow down a bit. I know you are already going super slow... but those first few weeks post op sloooooow is good! Hang in there!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

hollykim
on 6/5/15 8:03 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 4, 2015 at 9:09 PM Pacific Time, Keeks911 wrote:

In order to be discharged I had to prove that I could drink 1oz every 15 mins for two consecutive hours. No biggy I thought. I had done one hour here and one hour there, and I wanted to go home.

They sent me to get an xray and make sure my new stomach is working. It is. However, since then when I drink anything, it feels like it just sits in my esophagus.  It's a strange sensation and I'm worried. I will call doctor in the morning but until then I am worried.

Should I be? They don't expect the protein and fluid goals to be met the first couple of days but I'm not even close. 

I'm pretty worried about it.

that full in the throat feeling can also be reflux,which can be a side effect of the VSG. 

Keeks911
on 6/5/15 12:04 pm - SALEM, OR

Well today has been much better regarding the full esophagus feeling. I have moved onto gerd. I was given a Prilosec type perception and am taking it as prescribed but wonder if it's working. It feels like heartburn but not quite. It feels like gas but not quite. Every time I take a sip of liquid I get an uncomfortable feeling in my chest. It usually withdraws in a moment or two, but it's every sip. 

I will be glad to get through this phase! 

Thank you for your responses. You are very helpful!

samanthalc
on 6/5/15 2:02 pm
with

I had the same surgery.  LIke you I had a hard time keeping fluids down initially, but it seemed to get better quickly (like day 5 I could drink reasonably sized sips and be ok.)

Most Active
Recent Topics