Dr Dropped Me

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/15 11:37 am

My bariactric surgeon removed my gallbladder on 5/6/15. I had horrid anxiety due to pain meds and discomfort, so I stopped the pain mefd and went back on the klonopin and wss fine. I asked the doc about how to better prevent it for my vsg in July and he responded today stating he wouldnt perform the surgery.  He said the prrssure in my chest would trigger me and there was no way to avoid using pain meds. Im 1 week away from my last nut appt  from this 4 month long journey and everything was gold. Im so upset right now. Somebody with an anxiety disorder mustve had this surgery before. Please tell me your experience. Im so upset right now.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/5/15 12:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I have bipolar and deal with anxiety. And yeah, dealing with medical crap and unknown pain is awful. But if you're ignoring the doctor's instructions already (re: medication), that's a bad sign. Success with WLS depends on your ability to successfully follow what your surgeon tells you in regards to healing and eating, and if you're going off on your own now, I'm not surprised that the doctor has a problem with it.

If the pain meds are causing issues with your anxiety, I would suggest talking to your psychiatrist for his/her input. Perhaps there is a different maintenance medication you could take that would allow you to be on the pain medication? This is something that definitely needs an expert opinion.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/15 1:33 pm

I stopped because the pain wasnt bad. I never went against his advice. Thats not cool to assume I did and accuse me of it. Im having such a bad day and wanted support, not finger pointing that I messed up. I did everything they asked me to do.

samanthalc
on 6/5/15 1:58 pm
with

Not for nothing, but I also understood you went against Dr's orders.  Perhaps it's just in your original drafting. (This sentence in particular: I had horrid anxiety due to pain meds and discomfort, so I stopped the pain mefd and went back on the klonopin and wss fine.)

All of that said: Can you call around to other local surgeons and ask if they'll take you on mid-process? 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/5/15 3:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yup, that's how I read it as well.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/15 3:08 pm

Sorry it was bad wording. I asked if I could stop the pain med and go back to klonopin and he said yes. Im sorry to be so defensive....im devestated that 3 weeks after the request for a pain mngmt plan, they call back notifying me that they didnt want to perform the surgery simply due to my panic attacks.

prayingforloss
on 6/7/15 7:20 am

I'm so sorry for what u are going through, but the blamer shameless should be ashamed. I thought we were supporting each other's plight. Doctors are not gods neither all knowing. I support finding another doctor, rely on your intuition it has saved many a life. Yes doctors are fallible. Find a good one. I'm hoping you get more than well soon.

hollykim
on 6/8/15 3:06 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 7, 2015 at 7:20 AM Pacific Time, prayingforloss wrote:

I'm so sorry for what u are going through, but the blamer shameless should be ashamed. I thought we were supporting each other's plight. Doctors are not gods neither all knowing. I support finding another doctor, rely on your intuition it has saved many a life. Yes doctors are fallible. Find a good one. I'm hoping you get more than well soon.

even though part of your post doesn't make sense,it appears that you are trying to SHAME someone for what they posted. You do know that this is a public forum and nobody made you the boss of what ppl can post and not post ,right?

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/15 6:54 pm

Please dont keep this shaming thing spinning. Im here seeking advice and help. The surgeon spoke of chest pain from the surgery unrelated to gas pain would trigger a panic attack. Will you please tell me about your experience? The more I know the less likely i am to panic. I really appreciate everybodys input.

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/15 3:11 pm

I spoke with my rep and she said Id be able to transfer all my work to another doctor. She said she has never heard of a denial based on panic attacks and thinks its something else they are not telling me.

Most Active
Recent Topics