Are you glad you went with sleeve or wish you had bypass?

Godlychick
on 6/4/15 9:09 pm

Went for my consultation today and my Dr. said he would feel comfortable doing the vsg or bypass. and to think about it, I'm really leading towards sleeve. I weigh 217 just wondering if anyone wished they had other surgery instead? my insurance will cover one weight loss surgery !!!

Mary Gee
on 6/5/15 4:15 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Either one would be fine in my opinion.  Surgery is a tool, and if you use your tool properly, you will lose weight.  I chose VSG because I wanted to be able to take Tylenol, Aleve, etc.

You're at the beginning stage....keep reading and learn as much as you can.  You don't have to make the decision until you've completed all the pre-op requirements of your doctor and insurance company.  Keep reading.  Have you read the information under "Resources" at the top of the page here?  Lots of valuable information.

Good Luck to you.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

rhon1017
on 6/5/15 5:30 am - Gastonia, NC

I started at 229 and had VSG in April.  I wish now I would have gone with the bypass.  My husband had the RNY in February 2014.  I do not like the fact that it is taking me longer to lose the weight and I believe I would have better long term results.  That's what I'm really worried about at this stage of it all.

Just my personal opinion from my experience as well as my husbands.

VSG on 04-08-15, Weight Day of Surgery 219, M1-15 lbs, M2-17 lbs, M3-10 lbs; M4-6

Kiwideb
on 6/4/15 11:47 pm, edited 6/4/15 11:48 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

Men tend to lose weight very fast up front (seen the numbers to confirm that in support group - although it's not always the case), so it's not a straight surgery to surgery comparison.

Please don't consider yourself a failure at 2 months out, because you're not comparing apples with apples at this point. Plus, if you're comparing heavy weight to lightweight, loss numbers will look very different but at a year or two, your percentages could be quite close.

Tracy D.
on 6/5/15 10:59 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The speed of weight loss with each type of WLS was never a consideration when making my final decision.  Scientific research has proven that the percentage of excess weight lost is almost identical with RNY or VSG.  What determines long-term success is compliance with whichever surgery you choose.  That's where people mess up.  

RNYers believe they'll always have malabsorption as a tool (they won't) and VSGers believe that restriction alone will work for them (and sometimes it doesn't).  I knew that the scientific research had proven that I could lose all my weight successfully - and keep it off - with any of the surgeries.  As long as I followed the rules.  

My concerns were:  not wanting to take a multitude of vitamins, not wanting to have my intestines re-routed and not having a "blind" stomach left inside me.  All strikes against RNY.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/15 5:31 pm
RNY on 05/04/15
On June 5, 2015 at 5:30 AM Pacific Time, rhon1017 wrote:

I started at 229 and had VSG in April.  I wish now I would have gone with the bypass.  My husband had the RNY in February 2014.  I do not like the fact that it is taking me longer to lose the weight and I believe I would have better long term results.  That's what I'm really worried about at this stage of it all.

Just my personal opinion from my experience as well as my husbands.

Just for a counterpart to your experience, I had RNY in May and my husband had VSG 2 weeks later. He's losing a LOT faster than I am! He has a lot more to lose though, and I had a significant loss pre-op. I think those things, plus the fact that men lose faster in general, account for the difference far more than which surgeries we chose. I would have preferred the sleeve but was advised against it because of my severe GERD...and sure enough, my husband has had issues with reflux since his surgery. I'm only a month out, but I'm happy so far.

happyteacher
on 6/5/15 5:52 am

My surgeon originally wanted to do the bypass on me due to being diabetic and Gerd. I was steadfast on the sleeve though. I made it to goal no issues. I have a bit of regain at this point, but sitting exactly at my origianl goal. If I were to change me mind at a later day and wish I did the bypass, it would be due to not being able to tolerate sugar with the bypsss. My regain issues are centered on my battle with sugar daily. I highly suspect, however, that I likelhy would experience a regain issue with rny as well. And again, my regain has been nominal- for now anyway!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Kiwideb
on 6/5/15 6:59 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Im nearly 5 months out, I've lost over half my goal weight ( was 312 at surgery), I can't say I've have regrets at all at this point, and am happy with my vsg decision. Considering I'm having some fibro issues that really only ibuprofen works on, I'm happy not having bypass. 

In two years time ask the question again maybe I will have a different answer if I don't meet my personal goal of 200 (nut has me for 185, normal would be 155). But to be truthful, even the 66pds I've lost makes me feel wonderful - I would be disappointed if I didn't lose more, but it wouldn't be the end of my world as I'm 66pds healthier and that's all good in my mind.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/5/15 9:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had the sleeve and I'm very glad I did, I lost 140lb. I've had no trouble since!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Beverly H.
on 6/5/15 10:54 am
VSG on 05/20/15

I chose sleeve surgery over bypass because of the difference in absorption of nutrients. I think it's a very individual decision and I too struggled with the decision for awhile but I'm two weeks post op and I'm sure that I made the best decision for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics