Any good stories about the Sleeve with people who had GERD or acid reflux BEFORE surgery?

Ontario_Girl
on 6/2/15 10:24 am - Canada

I rely on NSAIDs so can't do RNY but booked for the sleeve in 2 weeks. So hoping for some success stories. I'm not too worried about it. I didn't suffer from gerd until I gained a ton of weight. I did have some rapid weight loss when I had gull bladder issues and it went away. But returned when I gained weight back. I've started walking to strengthen my body for surgery. So excited for this new tool i'm going to receive. 

Just a girl trying to become a better ME. Healthier ME. Learning to be happy with ME and love ME. One day at a time.

GooseGirl
on 6/2/15 11:30 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I had GERD before my sleeve. i faithfully took 40 mg of protonix twice a day and would still occasionally have break through episodes of acid. Since the surgery things are so much better. I still take protonix but it is down to 20mg once a day and honestly I'm not super great about taking it each day. I do understand that I was lucky and apparently am not the norm but I am so incredibly thankful for the improvement. 

psychoticparrot
on 6/2/15 11:41 am

I've been taking omeprazole twice a day since 1999 when I reached a weight that caused round-the-clock GERD. Just yesterday I saw my surgeon for my 4-month post-op checkup. I've lost 60 pounds from my high weight, so he suggested cutting the omeprazole to just once a day. I just started cutting down this morning, so it's too soon to say whether I can manage on just one capsule a day. Hope so! Since the surgery I've been able to stop oral prednisone, Benicar (for high BP) and now starting to cut back on the omeprazole. Thank you, sleeve!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Ontario_Girl
on 6/2/15 11:53 am - Canada

thats awesome. So happy to hear! Im excited for this new leaf to turn :)

Just a girl trying to become a better ME. Healthier ME. Learning to be happy with ME and love ME. One day at a time.

rumpole6
on 6/2/15 11:39 am

My GERD is worse. It was in some sort of remission before surgery but I am again taking Protonix 40mb twice a day + Zantac when needed (Not always) I am still hopeful that it will get better with time but I am only 7 months out.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

Grim_Traveller
on 6/3/15 12:45 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The most recent ASMBS guidelines say no NSAIDS for VSG or RNY.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

more2adore
on 6/3/15 1:58 am
VSG on 03/28/15
more2adore
on 6/3/15 1:59 am
VSG on 03/28/15

My GERD was 100% controlled pre-surgery on 20mg of rabeprazole (and before that on 20mg of omeprazole). Never even a hint of reflux, ever. Now, post-surgery, I am having AWFUL reflux. My doc has switched me to esomeprazole, which helped a TINY bit, but I still occasionally wake up choking on my own stomach acid while sleeping. :( And that's AFTER also taking Zantac and Gaviscon before bed as well. :( I wake up with a sore throat every morning from the acid and the noise the acid makes in my throat/esophagus is sometimes so loud it wakes up not just me but my husband as well! :( I'm 9 weeks out, by the way. Still hoping it will magically get better somehow. 

VSG 3/28/2015 | HW 600+ | SW 488.2 | CW 398.4

whatsinyoursleeve
on 6/3/15 8:28 am

My GERD completely disappeared after VSG. I took prevacid for the first 6 months, then my doc said I could quit taking it. I am 9 months out and no GERD.  I was told not to take NSAIDS by the way, only tylenol. 

shorty71
on 6/3/15 8:49 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

I had gerd. Was in protonix prior to sleeve. Now im almost at goal and no issues. If i do i can take otc zantac. Havent had to take it yet

Most Active
Recent Topics