suggestions of vegetarian food choices

Seemeslimmer
on 5/31/15 7:29 pm - Bardstown, KY
I need to round up my resolve and get back to the business of eating correctly. I absolutely can not stand chicken much any more. I am looking for more vegetarian suggestions for proteins. I will try some recipes for chicken, but I do not cook any more. (I think one reason I am off-track on eating) It's just me, so cooking has not been a priority.

Ideas? Suggestions?
      See  
psychoticparrot
on 5/31/15 8:32 pm

Beans are a good protein source. I often open a can of black beans (not refried), mix a small portion with a bit of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning mix and salsa. Spread on plate. Sprinkle lightly with shredded Monterey Jack. Heat in microwave a minute or so. Pile on chopped fresh tomatoes and a spoonful of salsa. Fast and easy and tasty.

Tofu is another good source of protein. I usually eat firm tofu diced into miso soup in the morning. Another way is to place a slab of silky tofu on a plate. Drizzle with a teaspoon of toasted sesame oil, top with diced cucumber, grated fresh gingerroot, and some dried bonito flakes. A very refreshing lunch on a hot day. All ingredients are available in Asian stores or on Amazon.

If you eat fish, marinate a fillet of white fish for a few hours in soy sauce mixed half and half with water, juice of one lemon, minced garlic, and a tablespoon of vegetable oil. This gets rid of any "fishiness" and works especially well with frozen fish. Saute the fillet in a bit of butter.

Scrambled eggs, high-quality smoked salmon, and a cucumber salad make a great meal any time of the day. Good smoked salmon is pricey, but if you eat only 1-2 ounces at a time and freeze the rest for later meals, it's not as expensive per meal and makes a nice change of pace. 

There are oodles of vegetarian cookbooks available as well as on-line recipes. Good luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

mickeymantle
on 6/1/15 9:15 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if you are going veggie you should yake with you nut about how to do it it is not only the amount of protien you eat but you need  complete  protien meaning all the amino acids and most veggies are missing some and you need to mix the right ones ,mixed  beans and corn work but have a lot of calories

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/15 9:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There are some really good meatless-meat options out there. I really like the Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage, and their "chicken" nuggets are surprisingly good. They're great to pop in the microwave when you don't want to cook!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 6/1/15 2:40 pm - MI

I found black bean noodles this past weekend at the grocery store. They smelled gross while cooking, but were fabulous topped with sauce and cheese. They have 25 grams of protein for 2 ounces!!!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Most Active
Recent Topics