Pre-op diet -- anyone else exhausted?

Dan T.
on 5/30/15 11:07 pm
VSG on 06/10/15

Hey all -- long time lurker, but an infrequent poster.

I'm (finally!) scheduled for surgery on June 10th, and started my preop diet on Wednesday.

This is a pretty big drop in calories for me -- about half of what I'd been eating previously to lose weight.

The hunger is frustrating, but I expected that. What I didn't anticipate is that I seem to be super tired all the time -- by the end of the day, or after a workout, I am struggling to keep my eyes open.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is it normal? 

HW: 557 | SW: 478 | CW: 436

rocky513
on 5/31/15 5:12 am - WI

It's totally normal.  You are likely detoxing from carbs.  Simple carbs ( bread. crackers, chips, pasta,  rice, potatoes) are easy for the body to burn for energy.  It takes more work for the body to break down complex carbs (veggies) and protein.  A lot of us get a killer headache too.

The calorie deficiency plays into it too. Your body is used to eating a large amount of calories to maintain your large size.  It's trying to figure out where to turn for calories since the "easy stuff" is no longer there.  It does get better.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Dan1962
on 5/31/15 5:55 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Once you get the carbs out, and caffeine too if thats part of the plan, you will be hit with a ton of energy.  It really surprised me.  Good luck.

samanthalc
on 5/31/15 6:17 am
with

I'm almost two weeks post-op, and can confidently say that the pre-op and liquids part of the diet really suck.  That said, it does get better (even in pre-op diet phase) once you go through the carb and caffeine detox.  I'm amazed you're able to work out!!!!!  I needed all of my energy just to do the things required of me --like show up to work and not do stupid things! :(  I'm still in the liquids phase, looking forward to a teaspoon of food Tuesday :)

gwen41539
on 5/31/15 9:43 am - kimper, KY

If I were you I would forego the workouts or scale way back if it's tiring you so much...also post MORE we won't bite lol and welcome to the boards I hope to see you here posting updates hang in there you can make it take it easy until the 10th just concentrate on the diet not so much on exercise maybe that will help 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

Nurse12334
on 5/31/15 12:12 pm

I felt the same.  Soon figured out I could not work out because of the fatigue and I just tried to be kind to myself and nap and rest through that time.  I also was taken off metformin during this because it was keeping my blood sugar to low which made the fatigue worse.  I was surprised however how the energy returned.  I am a little over a month out and I feel terrific.  My energy level is high and I am able to do more than I even thought I could.  Hang in there and remember if your body is tired....rest.  

Cliff P.
on 5/31/15 7:57 pm
VSG on 03/12/15

For me the preop diet was the worst part of the journey. After that it's really not bad at all. You body will adjust and your energy will come back. Just remember to ge****er vits and protein in. Stick to the plan and all will be happy.

Cliff 

DW/287 SW/245 GW/185 hit at 89 day post op.. still doing the happy dance  

Dan T.
on 5/31/15 10:18 pm
VSG on 06/10/15

Thanks everyone! Glad to know I am not alone in this. I have been eating a fairly high protein, low carb diet for a while, but this is a lot more dramatic.

And my workout was on Saturday morning, thankfully! Not going to happen during the work week. I am recovering from a knee injury, though, so I'm determined to keep my activity level as high as I can manage. 

NanaNurseRN
on 6/3/15 12:36 am - Van Buren, AR
VSG on 06/23/15 with

I am right there with you. I have been on the pre op diet for 12 days and I keep thinking it has to get better. Some days I am starving and others are not so bad.  I have no energy! But I know this is the first step in the process of getting healthy. But I do miss food!! Good Luck  

Dan T.
on 6/26/15 4:34 pm
VSG on 06/10/15

I'm glad to say it gets much better after surgery! I thought 1000 calories a day was torture pre-op -- now I'm working hard to get in 400-500. Stay busy and stick with it :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics