Sugar..no judging

Tracy D.
on 5/29/15 12:24 am, edited 5/29/15 12:43 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here's the thing:  sugar is my drug of choice.  If I could do sugar "just once a week"...or "just a couple bites"....or limit myself to a few squares of good chocolate...I would never have reached 260 lbs. at my heaviest.  

Sugar causes a reaction in my body that it doesn't cause in "normal" people.  Meaning that one bite is too many and a thousand bites will never be enough.  If you're like me - and only you can decide that - one bite now will eventually lead to more and more eating of sugar.  Sneaking it...stealing bites here and there...hiding it from people...and obsessing about when you can eat some more. 

If this has been your experience in the past then sugar is a DRUG for you and you MUST stop eating it completely.  To not do ensures that you will sabotage your weight loss efforts and eventually gain back the weight.  And if you are diabetic and got off meds it will guarantee you having to go back on those meds.  

The first few days you will absolutely have to white knuckle getting off it.  But it gets easier after that.  

Be honest with yourself - if it was an issue in the past it's still an issue today.  Take control and get off the crack!  For most of us there is no such thing as "controlled eating" or "moderation" when it comes to things like sugar.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

klv2355
on 5/29/15 7:56 am
VSG on 12/01/14

Agreed 100%!!!!!!! You were describing me to a "T"!!!

I am doing this!!! Getting to my goal! 

Shel25
on 5/29/15 5:33 pm

"Sneaking it...stealing bites here and there...hiding it from people...and obsessing about when you can eat some more."   I pretty sure this is woven into my DNA.

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

wyo_sarah
on 5/29/15 7:48 am

This has been a really interesting thread for me.  I never really looked at myself as a sugar addict and I have been following the philosophy of "all things in moderation".  Today is my 10 month surgiversary.  I am 6 lbs more than my lowest and I'm not happy about that.  I've been eating sugar and other carbs, in my mind, in moderation.  But, if I'm truly honest with myself I can see that it is becoming more and more every day.  I think I need to take the advice of the people above and "white knuckle" it and just quit completely.  Or, as one person said, limit it to a very small bit a couple times a week.  Initially that was my goal, but I have fallen away from that.  Yesterday I had three very small portions of a yummy rhubarb crisp that someone brought to work.  Then I had a couple bites of some caramel corn from a friend.  After dinner I had two bites of super awesome chocolate.  That is too much.  Thank you for posting this because it has been an eye opener for me.

klv2355
on 5/29/15 7:55 am
VSG on 12/01/14

Thank you for replying! I agree, the 1 bite here and there becomes a sweet treat after every meal again. I really do think it's best to put sugar in its place and look at it as an addictive substance...at least for me. I'm trying to get my sugars from fruit and re-route my taste buds again:). Thanks for your support and let's do this together! 

I am doing this!!! Getting to my goal! 

Tracy D.
on 5/29/15 8:05 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Get off the crack, Sarah!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Laura in Texas
on 5/29/15 8:27 am

I generally consume less than 20 grams of sugar a day, mostly from milk and fruit. It's the only way I can control my cravings.

Track your food and see how many you consume. Seeing it in writing can be eye-opening. Nip this in the bud. You had surgery to change your life. You will gain all your weight back if you are not careful.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

robinreinhardt
on 5/29/15 9:23 am

Klv,

I am almost 6 months out from a RNY. I have sugar everyday in my protein drinks.  You are almost to goal in such a short time so be very careful. Because as you know sugar is very addictive. Good luck and thanks for the post.

Robin

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/29/15 5:46 am, edited 5/29/15 5:47 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Sugar is a cruel mistress.  Once she gets her fangs into you, it's hard to run away.

What form of sugar are you eating?  Candy? Chocolate?  Ice cream? Cookies?  Fruit?  

At six months post surgery, you're in the most dedicated and motivational phase you'll ever be in.  Don't squander your time.  Part of WLS is learning a new normal when it comes to what and how you'll want to eat for the rest of your life.  Foods that we are addicted to, like sugar, will always be around.  You don't have to forego them forever, but it's best to forget about them while you're trying to lose weight.  

Put down the junk and get back to what has brought you close to goal.  You can do this, but you have to keep your eyes on the prize  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

LeapSecond
on 5/30/15 4:58 am - AR

You recognized the problem, sugar.  Great first step.  You know what to do.  For me, surgery, getting some control back of some of my health and looking to the future health, I can't eat what made me super morbidly obese in the first place.   The more sweet I eat the more I want.  It will empower you to kick the sweets out of your diet again. 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Most Active
Recent Topics