Surgery 3/25 8 weeks out and I think I am losing at a snails pace.

poplargreys
on 5/20/15 7:12 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I had surgery on 3/31 and have lost 33lbs since then, which is just about half a pound a day even when you factor in a few days for a stall here or there. I don't feel like I'm losing super fast, but this is a hell of a lot faster than I lost when I was dieting pre-op, and I'm not hungry or constantly thinking about the foods I wanted as soon as I gave up on whatever diet I was doing. 

One thing I have done is take pictures once a month, I feel like I can see the difference in pictures better than when I just look in a mirror. I'm down 75lbs overall and I can't see a bit of difference when I'm looking at myself, but the photos show a pretty obvious difference. 

lynnannn
on 5/21/15 11:58 am

everyone seems to be around that 30 pound weight loss mark. I guess we are doing okay. I will have to try that with pics. My clothes are a bit looser.

psychoticparrot
on 5/20/15 9:39 pm

Philly, at 8 weeks out, I had lost 40 pounds. I say this not to make you feel worse, but to point out that everyone loses at their own rate.

The reason I lost so much weight so quickly was that I developed a severe kidney infection and dehydration, which landed me in the ER twice. Yes, the weight fell off, but the method left much to be desired. I would much rather have had a slower rate of loss than to lose it due to unpleasant complications after surgery.

Twenty-six pounds is nothing to sneeze at. Slow and steady wins the race as surely as fast and dramatic!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

momsy55
on 5/21/15 6:17 am - ME

It is so hard to be patient.  Once we make our minds up to have the surgery, go through it, and follow the plan, we want instant results - been there, done that!  :)  How quickly you lose depends on so many factors, as others have pointed out, but, if we follow the plan, we lose weight.  I know, for me, after so many years of dieting, without the WLS, I would not have even been able to stick with it to be able to lose 26 lbs.  I also lost a good amount of weight pre-op, over 5 months, and was told here and by the NUT, that initially my weight loss would probably be slower (it was), but it would even out in the end, which it did.  I lost 120 lbs in less than a year.  So it will happen, I promise, as long as you follow the plan!   Hugs, Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

TexasLady52
on 5/21/15 7:16 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I also had a revision this past year from WLS I had in 1980 (which was a failure).  At first when I read the forums it drove me crazy.  I was not losing like all the people I was reading about.  I had stalls that lasted as much as six weeks.  I beat myself to death and thought I was a failure again.  I finally came to the conclusion....I am not everyone else....I am me!  I am lots older....had a revision...bad knees and I don't have a thyroid.  Anyone younger, more active and did not have a revision is going to lose faster.  My body is going to do what it wants to do.....it is just going to take me longer.  I did realize even though I am on a stall...I was still losing inches.  I now don't worry about what everyone else is doing.  I never weigh more than once a week or even sometimes once every two weeks (when my clothes feel a lot loser....then I weigh).....When someone asks how much I have lost....I say...I don't know haven't been to the doctor lately!!!!  I have settled with the fact that I am going to lose slower... I am going to have stalls, but I will eventually get there....and I feel so much better and I feel that I look better and that is what counts.....how I feel not what everyone else is doing!

Y D.
on 5/21/15 9:34 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

If you are a snail I guess I'm a... baby snail? challenged snail?? idk lol.

My losses have averaged to about 2.6lbs per week, or about 10 lbs a month (I'm 4 months out).

I chalk it up to being "smaller", I started at 40 BMI. I've seen others at my size dropping faster, but I've never been a fast loser.

philly2dc
on 5/22/15 10:04 am

Yaara D. when did you have your surgery?

Y D.
on 5/22/15 10:07 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

4 months ago, at the end of January.

Most Active
Recent Topics