5 months out-64lbs down.......but the exercise is killing me!

xray_girl
on 5/20/15 7:00 pm

I have recently ramped up my workout to between 1.5-2hrs 3-4x a week.  All was well before but I have noticed that since I am exercising more I am exhausted all the time. Like falling asleep in the recliner as soon as I get home tired... Vit D is within normal limits(now), I take my vitamins, drink my water..I don't eat back my calories even though everyone around me tells me its because I don't eat enough.  I usually eat a snack before and a small meal after.  My next appt. is in June but does anyone have suggestions for how to NOT be so tired?

grayC
on 5/20/15 7:06 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Could be your iron..

Im an anemic and if my irons really low..knocks me out...

Gwen M.
on 5/20/15 7:08 pm
VSG on 03/13/14
On May 20, 2015 at 7:00 PM Pacific Time, xray_girl wrote:

I have recently ramped up my workout to between 1.5-2hrs 3-4x a week.  All was well before but I have noticed that since I am exercising more I am exhausted all the time. Like falling asleep in the recliner as soon as I get home tired... Vit D is within normal limits(now), I take my vitamins, drink my water..I don't eat back my calories even though everyone around me tells me its because I don't eat enough.  I usually eat a snack before and a small meal after.  My next appt. is in June but does anyone have suggestions for how to NOT be so tired?

I find that whenever I add something new to my exercise regimen, it wipes me out.  For example, I recently added Aikido twice a week to what I already do and I crashed hard around 3pm today.  I never take naps!  But I'm just wiped out.  Past experience tells me that my body will adjust to this new normal, and that I'll start having more energy in a few weeks.  

So, my advice?  Give it time and be kind to yourself until your body adjusts.  Take those naps if you need them :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MegZorar
on 5/20/15 7:51 pm
On May 20, 2015 at 7:00 PM Pacific Time, xray_girl wrote:

2 hrs at a time is a lot. Are you staying hydrated during that time? Could make a big difference.

Also consider the role of protein in muscle recovery. I drink part of a protein shake in the first 15 minutes following a workout. 

My nutritionist recommended a sublingual vitamin B12  supplement for energy. Don't know whether it's the B12 or the exercise (which came first--chicken or egg scenario), but I'm pleased with my energy level.

Having said that, I can't shake the feeling that 2 hours at a time on a regular basis would strain the body. It sounds like you're fit, with that level of endurance, but I wonder about the cumulative effect. How about shorter sessions with greater frequency and time built in for recovery? Just a thought. I'm by no means an expert. Still learning.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/21/15 6:34 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Maybe you should ramp up your routine a little more slowly till your body gets used to it. Maybe do the 2 hour thing 1x or 2x & your old routine for the other times. When you get more used to it then ramp it up to what your doing now, & if your body needs to rest, then do so. 

I find that sometimes whenever I push myself sometimes I might need to rest more, but then my next workout is still pretty good because I listened to my body & took the break. Whenever I tried to workout & my body was tired my workout ended up being really crappy. It's a balance between pushing yourself to the next level & staying at the old one. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

xray_girl
on 5/21/15 8:25 am

Thanks everyone.  Maybe I'll take it a little slower till I get used to the longer workout. I didn't want to be a wussy.

Tracy D.
on 5/21/15 8:41 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Make sure you are getting at LEAST 80-100 oz. of water in before you exercise (assuming you exercise in the evening).  And because you're working out so hard I would look into a good recovery drink (it can be a good whey protein isolate shake).  It made a huge difference for me.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Hislady
on 5/21/15 2:16 pm - Vancouver, WA

I was unable to exercise at all because of impaired lungs and still lost over 100 lbs. You really don't have to kill yourself with exercise unless you enjoy it. Food choices are far more important than exercise.

Most Active
Recent Topics