Hello Out There! (Newbie)

RayahShrinks
on 5/15/15 12:19 pm
VSG on 06/03/15

Hello Everyone!

My name is Rachel, but everyone has called me Rayah since I can remember. I'm a 28 year old female with a start weight of 456. I'm currently down to 429. I'm going to be having the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. I just had my last surgeon's appointment prior to surgery. They've scheduled me for June 3rd, just a week before my 29th birthday.

I've been through a surgical program before. About 3 years ago, I started my first surgery journey with my heart set on gastric bypass. Due to a damaged back that went undiagnosed, I was let go from my job 2 weeks before my surgery date. I lost my insurance, and my chance at surgery. It was a very frustrating time for me. My insurance at the time mandated a 6 month program. I worked very hard, and then in the end wasn't able to have the surgery.  This time, I'm at a new job that has been incredibly supportive of me for everything. They're my cheering section. I lost my dad on Christmas last year, so it's been nice to have people to lean on. 

Please let me know if you have any tips or tricks. I'm pretty well versed on what CAN happen physically and psychologically. But...you never know until the time comes what will happen.

I look forward to becoming a part of this community.

RayahShrinks  

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/15/15 12:49 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Ijust wanted to wish you luck. I also wanted to let you know up top where it says MY OH you see the magnifying glass. If you click that you can search the archives. So if you have things you are curious about I can almost bet they were asked and answered. Just a cool way to get information. Good luck this time around. I just wanted to add I had back issues when I lost a lot of weight. I was told our spine settles in one spot and stays there after we lose a lot of weight. So I have had to have adjustments.

RayahShrinks
on 5/15/15 1:33 pm
VSG on 06/03/15

Thanks so much! I've been sort of "stalking" this site and it's forums for a bit now. I finally decided to join. I think a community like this will be important for my success.

RayahShrinks  

Tracy D.
on 5/15/15 12:49 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome Rayah!  I would encourage you to do searches on here for the topics you're interested in and read everything you can find.   Pretty much anything you can think to ask has been asked and answered at least 50 times so there's lots of good stuff out there.  

I discovered it was important to get off the caffeine/diet soda prior to surgery and to practice chewing reaaaallllly slow.  

Best of luck on June 3rd - that's right around the corner!! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

RayahShrinks
on 5/15/15 1:35 pm
VSG on 06/03/15

Thanks! Yes I've been off of soda and most caffeine for about 3 months now for basic health reasons. I am also attempting to chew each bite of food 30 times. I know there is no number necessary per se but having a number in my head reminds me to slow down.

RayahShrinks  

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/18/15 5:32 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Oh yeah also practice now eating with out drinking so it is easier for you.

Amy M.
on 5/15/15 2:30 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Welcome Rayah! First of all I'm sorry about your dad.  It's good that you have a good support group at work.  I can tell you first hand that this forum truly is an excellent place to get support from as well.  I've asked tons of questions on here and it's also a great place to rant when you want an audience that understands what you're going through.

Prior to surgery in addition to cutting out the caffeine and diet soda I also cut out alcohol and got myself prepared on a low carb high protein diet.  Saying goodbye to carbs as early as possible is a good idea so you're not craving them as badly after surgery.  Also I recommend getting samples of protein powder so that you don't have issues meeting your protein goals post op due to not having a shake that you can tolerate the taste of.

Good luck and I wish you great success! Can't wait to see you on the loser's bench!

Cuparian
on 5/15/15 3:24 pm
VSG on 05/13/15

Hi,

I had had my surgery this Wednesday past, first day at he today.

doing this on my own for personal reasons but I recommend you get a good support group.

i wish you every success

HW 380 SW 352.5

rturnage
on 5/16/15 5:56 pm - Maumee, OH

Hi Rayah,

I'm Rachel, too, but I've never gone by a nickname.  There was this guy at a job I had who would call me Ray Ray all the time! I hated it, and told him so, but no dice.  haha  Welcome to the site!  I am relatively new here myself, and it is so reassuring to come here and just read posts.  I have had trouble with my back for my entire adult life, so I understand completely.  How is your back doing now?  

I'm 34, and people call me young here, so get ready for that!  :)  I don't have any tips yet, but did you have to give up anything you really love to prepare for surgery?  I need to quit smoking and quit drinking diet coke, and it's a bit overwhelming.  I'm glad you joined!

HW 560 CW 525  Hoping to get sleeved in June 2015. Psych eval is on 4/20.

Auroro13
on 5/21/15 12:10 pm - Canada

This is incredible to read.  I understand the frustration at setbacks, but it's so worth it. I cannot wait to see/read your journey. 

Most Active
Recent Topics