Refined Grains vs. Whole Grains

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/15 12:59 pm

Many of us with WLS choose to follow a lower carbohydrate diet. I'm always fascinated by the debate over what is low carb, lower carb, etc... I know many people feel passionately about carbs.

I reread an article by Kris Gunnars today about Refined Grains vs. Whole grains. The article details the differences between the two types and also touches on gluten sensitivity. As always, Gunnars does a good job at presenting both sides, even though it's clear which way he leans.

Refined Grains vs. Whole Grains

ipray
on 5/13/15 2:41 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

This article speaks to me! I am a carb addict and have purposefully stayed away from carbs for the past 7 months, even though my nut allows for us to add them back in. (Very small amount, once a day). I have been afraid to open the carb door, but in reading kairks recent posts and the articles that he has provided from Kris Gunnars, I am realizing that whole grains may not cause the cravings that refined grains cause. Therefore, I am going to try adding whole grains to my diet once I reach goal as I feel the benefits of whole grains will help me. (And if I feel I am sliding into dangerous territory, I will have to eliminate them again). My only hesitation is trusting that something that says it is whole grain is actually whole grain. Does anyone know if there is a regulation that stipulates that labels for products that say whole grain must provide the whole grain?  Thanks again kairk for the interesting information! (I wish my nut would have gone into more detail concerning these issues. kairk has been filling in many blanks for me).

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/15 9:37 pm

Products like cereals, breads, snack foods, etc... that claim whole grain need only to have included whole grains in the creation of the product. Most of the time the whole grains in commercial products are so pulverized they might as well be refined flours.

I believe it's best to buy the grains whole and cook them yourself. Steel Cut Oats are a great source of whole grains. Steel Cut Oats (aka Irish Oatmeal) has a great nutty flavor and about 1/4 cup with a 1/4 plain Greek Yogurt sweetened with Truvia and some raspberries and chopped pecans is a great breakfast for your maintenance phase.

ipray
on 5/14/15 2:13 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

I love steel cut oats! I am going to try your recipe when I reach my goal!

mmsmom
on 5/14/15 6:35 am - Woburn, MA

i cook my steel cut oats in unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a little cinnamon and vanilla.  My favorite breakfast by far!

VSG on 04/28/2014

ipray
on 5/14/15 2:13 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Yum!  I am going to try this too!

Most Active
Recent Topics