Which should I choose! So confused!!

GigiNDallas
on 5/12/15 6:00 pm - watauga, TX

I just went to my consultation today and the doc recommends the duedonal switch is the best surgery for me, really!??? I went in wanting the sleeve, but he said due to my type 2 diabetes this is the one that will benefit me the most. I am 5"8 and 263 BMI of 40.1. My last surgeon only wanted to do the bypass on me, that's why I switched...please give me your opinions!!! My triglycerides are 940!!

GiGi
grayC
on 5/12/15 6:55 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

I had type 2 for 17 yrs and at the highest my tryglycerides where 2400

I had the sleeve, I am no longer diabetic and my tryglycerides are normal.. 

but ultimately the choice is yours, any of the surgeries will help as long as you stick to plan

but VSG is the only surgery that doesn't re route your intestines...

GigiNDallas
on 5/13/15 4:52 am - watauga, TX

Thank you for that!! That's what I like to hear! May I ask how much you have lost and what your starting weight and current weight is?

grayC
on 5/13/15 10:53 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I started a 225 and lost 85 lbs..

I had a bit of a regain do to some stress eating back in November-December..

I am at 150 now..looking to lose 5-10 lbs for summer..

Im very content at 150 for the winter months.

David F.
on 5/12/15 9:11 pm - Henderson, NV

I have type 2 diabetes as well and my BMI was like 70. I had VSG which was recommended by the surgeon. Do the one that you want not what they recommend. It is your body.

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

Hislady
on 5/12/15 9:59 pm - Vancouver, WA

The DS is pretty much considered the new gold standard for getting rid of diabetes but if you are really opposed to it you could get the sleeve first and give that a try and go with the DS down the line if the sleeve doesn't work well enough.

GigiNDallas
on 5/13/15 4:56 am - watauga, TX

So, from the sleeve I could still do the ds? That's if my Medicare would cover 2 surgeries...

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/13/15 5:07 am
VSG on 10/09/12

The DS is a sleeve and an intestinal/duodenal bypass/switch (sorry if I am not getting the technical terms right here) so yes, lots of people do it in two steps - first the sleeve and then the intestinal switch later. Although some say that doing it in one step is more effective. There are two step DSers on here. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/12/15 11:40 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

You need to weigh all options and risks and benefits. The DS will undoubtedly resolve the diabetes best and probably most durably long term. However there are risks associated with the DS that you will have to evaluate with regard to the benefits - benefits that you may also get with 'just' the sleeve. My surgeon refused to do the DS on me - I also had a 40 BMI and type 2. He said it was too strong of a surgery for my needs and I would do well with the sleeve. He was right. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

GigiNDallas
on 5/13/15 4:54 am - watauga, TX

That is awesome, how much did you lose with the VS?

Most Active
Recent Topics