"The Sheldon Plan." You really are a genius, Sheldon!

ipray
on 5/12/15 1:47 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

I work full time, so I this idea would work great for me as I won't have to decide the day/night before what to make the next day. It will also make my shopping easier, as I can just repeat the same list each week. Thanks for the tip. (Sheldon would be proud!) Now I just need your recipe for shepherds pie!  

lianna
on 5/12/15 3:44 pm - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I want the Shepherd's Pie recipe too!  I think I will go search for one... sounds yum and something different my DH would even eat.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

Luvmygs
on 5/12/15 3:59 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

The World According to Eggface has that recipe on her web site: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2012/01/leftovers-transformed.html

Luvmygs
on 5/12/15 3:57 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

I LOVE the Big Bang Theory!!! I've been doing something similar but not the same meals every week. Since my girls were little they would always want to know whats for dinner. So I came up with a weekly menu Monday - Sunday and would post it on the frig. So the girls knew we were having taco's on Tuesday and spaghetti on Thursday. It also helps with going grocery shopping. You just buy what you need for the meals. Our girls are grown and gone, but I continue with a weekly menu for my husband and I but its much more healthier. Today is turkey burgers w/sweet potato fries baked in the oven.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/12/15 4:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I haven't done this in a while, but I need to get back to it! Right now, my husband and I cook separately, but when we've got a newborn in the house I doubt that's going to fly. Good thing we both like beef stew and chicken strips!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Fleur
on 5/12/15 5:05 pm - Eugene, OR
VSG on 03/10/15 with

I love the idea of meal planning but hate eating the same thing week over week. I know some people do monthly menus and I think that's more my style but I recognize the value to having it all planned out.  Plus BBT is awesome!

psychoticparrot
on 5/12/15 6:09 pm

I'm glad some of you find The Sheldon Plan useful. There's no problem with too many leftovers for me because I make just enough for my husband and me. I plate the food; I don't serve it family-style. If by chance there are leftovers, I either serve them on the "off" day, or more usually, I freeze them for future meals. It's nice to have a freezer stocked with healthy food.

My recipe for Shepherd's Pie comes from the book, "Recipes for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet," by Raman Prasad. My husband has had intestinal issues over the years, and whenever he experiences a flare-up, we follow the SCD until he goes back into remission. This diet is healthy and often is greatly helpful for people suffering from Crohn's Disease, colitis, celiac disease, IBD and IBS. Anyway, the recipe ...

Shepherd's Pie: 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (original recipe calls for 1 1/2 tablespoons), 1 pound lean ground beef, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, salt and pepper, 1 small sweet onion finely diced (original recipe calls for 10 spring onions), 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1/2 cup tomato juice (my addition), 1 medium-size cauliflower, cut into florets, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (my addition), 1 tablespoon butter (original recipe calls for 2 tablespoons), 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese, and chopped parsley for garnish (optional).

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an ovenproof baking dish with a little olive oil (for sleevers not on the SCD, cooking spray will do). In a stovetop pan, heat the remaining olive oil and saute the beef and onions for 1-2 minutes. Add cumin, salt, and pepper and cook over low heat until ground beef is cooked through, another 15-20 minutes. (I added a little tomato juice to keep the meat juicier and tastier). If using spring onions, add to beef mixture and stir for about 2 minutes until they soften slightly. Place mixture in the prepared baking dish.

Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower florets until tender, about 10 minutes. Puree or blend the cauliflower with the nutmeg, butter, cheddar cheese, and salt and pepper to taste in a food processor until smooth. Spread it evenly on top of the cooked ground beef. Alternatively, you can reserve the cheese and sprinkle it on top of the cauliflower. Bake 15-20 minutes. Garnish with parsley. Makes 6-8 servings (but probably about 12-15 servings for one sleever!). Freezes well.

psychoticparrot

MegZorar
on 5/12/15 6:24 pm

Bazinga! I heart Sheldon and I heart this idea. Whatever works for you, right?

Hislady
on 5/12/15 10:08 pm - Vancouver, WA

Brilliant idea I'm going to start that myself I hate trying to think of what to fix every night this way I'd know right away what to go to without spraining my brain cells!

Tracy D.
on 5/13/15 6:30 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Love, love, love the idea!  And I've had that shepherd's pie with the mashed cauliflower topping - DELICIOUS!  Hubby would eat that 3 times a week if I let him :-) 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics