Self Esteem Issues

Sarah M.
on 5/12/15 10:06 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

I think all of us here find it hard to take a complement!  I always say thank you (as advised), and then tack on some self-depreciating comment like "still a ways to go!"  I blame my Wisconsin upbringing, but perhaps it's endemic to those who are overweight.

I'm only 3-4 month out, but it's still hard to tell a difference IN MY HEAD.  I think that I FINALLY found the magic scale that gives me a lower number every week...or that my clothes have stretched out!

For me, weight has always been about protection and being invisible.  People calling out that I'm "looking good" or whatever makes me feel vaguely threatened.  My old pattern was to derail from whatever diet after I started getting noticed.  

What's helping me this time is that my therapist gave me a "NSV" or non-scale victory journal to keep track of things OTHER than pounds lost/physical attributes.  Things like I noticed my collarbones for the first time in a long time.  Or how I fit into a car seat.  Or how long I can sustain a jog.  She also told me to get rid of my old clothes immediately (which I am working on) and to try and pick up 40/50/60lb as my weight loss progresses.  It is SHOCKING.  

That's helping me get used to the whole thing.  

I wish you much continued success!  Know it's a process, but take those complements because you earned them!

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Most Active
Recent Topics