Is there such a thing as losing too fast?

MommaGbear
on 5/10/15 11:26 am
VSG on 04/29/15 with

I'm 11 days post-op, and I'm down 22 pounds. Even if you include my 2 days of clear liquids prior to surgery, that's 22 pounds in 13 days. Is that normal? I mean, don't get me wrong - it's exciting, and I feel great. I am getting my protein and fluids in like I'm supposed to. I've started taking walks. I'm even having some pureed foods now on the advice of my nutritionist. I'm taking my vitamins. It just feels crazy! I know it's not going to last...I've just never had weight fall off like this. It feels almost wrong somehow! Is that weird to think?

Sorry if this post is odd. I just am so shocked by the scale!

justpete
on 5/10/15 11:38 am
VSG on 04/02/13

it's fine, a lot of that is water weight lost from eating fewer carbohydrates.  also less roughage in your intestines because you eat a lot less.

great job just the same though!

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/15 6:45 am, edited 5/10/15 6:45 am

Everyone loses at different rates. Lucky you! You are losing at quite a clip. HOWEVER, don't be surprised if in about 10 days or so your weight loss just stops. Many people who lose very quickly right out of surgery have what is affectionately known as "The Dreaded Three Week Stall". It happens at about 3 weeks post op and is your body just sort of catching up to all the drastic changes that have occurred over the preceding weeks.

Once you're eating a few more calories your weight loss will even out and slow down a bit. A pattern I've seen frequently is say, lose 30 pounds in the first month, 15 the second, and about 9-10 the third month and people sort of hold there until about 6 months when the weight loss may drop a bit again. It really all depends on how much you have to lose. The closer you get to goal the slower the weight loss goes!

It's Murphy's Law!

Cliff P.
on 5/10/15 6:02 pm
VSG on 03/12/15

My loss was similar. Slow now but only 20 left. On month 3 now. Only regret is not doing it sooner.

DW/287 SW/245 GW/185 hit at 89 day post op.. still doing the happy dance  

MommaGbear
on 5/10/15 11:28 pm
VSG on 04/29/15 with

Thanks, All. I appreciate it.

Now, I just need to find yummy puree recipes!

Sandra F.
on 5/11/15 6:37 am

When I first had surgery, I was losing 2 lbs a day for a while and I was a bit alarmed too.  But I think it is normal.

carriebryant81
on 5/11/15 6:56 pm

I am one week out and down 20lbs. I'm sure next week I will

lose less. I began full liquids today.

poplargreys
on 5/11/15 8:02 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I had a pretty large loss in the first 10 days, then things settled into a more reasonable downward trend. Enjoy the big losses now, and remember them when you hit your first stall ;)   I am six weeks out and my weight loss has stabilized to a third of a pound a day as long as I meet my water goals. 

Most Active
Recent Topics