WHAT IS NORMAL WEIGHT LOSS : WEEK 2

Crystal A.
on 5/11/15 8:09 am

So I had surgery on April 7th, and  I am around 5 weeks out. I loss an initial 10 pounds after surgery (that seems to be a common theme from the previous posters) and then things slowed way down. I experienced a stall for a few weeks, then lost another 5 pounds, and haven't lost much more since. I am having a hard time with this because I go to the doctor on Thursday, and since he is a very tough doctor, I am afraid he will tell me this is not a good weight loss. However, I have really gone down in size. I am wearing a size smaller in both pants and shirts! I try to focus on that, but it is hard not to be upset about the scale!

ordersteps
on 5/12/15 2:26 pm
VSG on 04/20/15

Hey Crystal be encouraged, we are all on this journey together.....keep up the good work!  Any pounds lost is a pound closer to your goal!!!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/12/15 12:25 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

If memory serves me correctly I lost about 10 lbs in the first two weeks after surgery.

As you can see from the replies you got, everyone is different. Some don't lose for a few weeks immediately after surgery (that wasn't true in my case, I started losing right away), some weigh daily (I do. It is a great tool to keep my head out of the denial sands!), some weigh only during scheduled doctor's visits, some have stalls, others don't. Some set goals, others don't. 

What I have seen consistently on these forums for the last 4 years that I have been on - every single day (its another great tool to keep your head in the game and learn loads) - is that there is no one single way or recipe in this journey. But there are tools that work.

Like staying away from mashed potatoes! 

Follow your plan, do what works for you, don't think you are failing if another person loses faster or more in the same timeframe. Best of luck in your journey!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ordersteps
on 5/12/15 2:28 pm
VSG on 04/20/15

Julie, thanks!  I do not own a scale so I agree, every journey is different! ...thank you.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/12/15 12:38 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Everyone loses weight at a difference pace.  Comparing yourself to someone else could lead to frustration, self-doubt and depression.  We start at different weights, at different ages, with different medical histories, etc.  Weight loss two weeks after surgery probably has the biggest variation I've seen posted on OH, so it's not a great barometer to use.

Just stick to your surgeon's plan, recognize and acknowledge that stalls will happen and keep on keeping on 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/12/15 12:45 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

What *I* lost in two weeks is irrelevent. My starting weight, physical build (bone structure and BF %), pre-op diet history, other medical conditions and medications, post-op recovery plan and how compliant I was, and specifics of how my surgeon operated on my body are not the same as anyone else. Same could be said for anyone else here.

Did I lose? Yup. Does it have any impact on what other people can or should expect to lose? Nope.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/12/15 1:13 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Don't sweat the numbers too much., & try, try, try not to compare yourself to others. Easier said than done, I know. You're unique & your new normal is what counts. The scale is just 1 indicator of weight loss, start taking measurements. Besides your body is healing right now, you just had major surgery!, ease up.

What's normal to one, isn't for another. Throw that normal term out the window.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

ordersteps
on 5/12/15 2:22 pm
VSG on 04/20/15

Hey, not comparing, just asked a question.  I do not own a scale so the only time I weight in is at my doctor's office.  I get it trust me, I made this post to see what is out there...thanks!

Laura in Texas
on 5/12/15 2:17 pm

As others have said, we are all different. That being said, HERE is the OH Weight Loss Planner you can use as a guide. It was actually pretty accurate for my losing phase.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ordersteps
on 5/12/15 2:24 pm
VSG on 04/20/15

Thanks Laura, as stated I do not own a scale so again I am asking questions just as anyone of you would here on this forum. Thanks for your input.

Most Active
Recent Topics