What inspiration means..at least to me

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/6/15 5:03 am, edited 5/6/15 6:23 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You're not rambling at all.  This is something that anyone who uses OH for support should remember.

Before/After pics are nice to look at, but if you post and dash and are looking for validation only, you might have some deep seated emotional issues.   It's certainly not paying it forward to anyone on OH who has helped you during the process.  In fact, it's seems a little narcissistic to me.

I wish weight loss success to everyone here.  But I've learned it's a never ending process.  Diligence is the key.  Just because you reached goal doesn't mean you'll stay there forever unless have modified your behaviors.  It's just a matter of time once you start back to eating the food that made you fat that the true honeymoon is over.  And denial of the possibility of potential gain says that it's just a matter of time.  All of the long term vets laugh when someone says "The weight is gone FOREVER." They've seen the same stories over and over.  And their advice is golden.  They've been through the trenches and know the mine fields.  If we fail to listen, we risk failure.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

shery11ynn
on 5/6/15 2:00 pm

I, too, have enjoyed "getting to know" the regulars and appreciate their input. In defense of the post and run folks, though, I read a blog entry a while back that stated OH had contacted them, asking them to post their successes. I would guess that a good percentage of these posts were solicited.

Loser2542
on 5/6/15 2:59 pm

I, personally, find it all inspiring. I find the day to day posts to be helpful, and I truly appreciate the time people spend posting regularly. I also appreciate the people stopping back in after several years to let those of us who are just starting out know that it can be done. Everyone's story is different but still the same, and I love hearing about the struggles and successes. I love seeing the before and after pictures, and hope to have the courage to post mine at some point. I also hope to have some wisdom to share with others... When I am a "vet".

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/6/15 5:55 pm

Yep. Without the vets who've stuck around to answer the same damn questions five hundred times, this place wouldn't be nearly as helpful.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Hislady
on 5/6/15 7:20 pm - Vancouver, WA

I've been here fro probably close to 8-9 yrs and heck I don't even have WLS anymore! I got a band in 2007 but had it removed early last year and had wanted to revise to a sleeve. Unfortunately because of bad lungs they won't do any other surgeries on me. That is fine tho because the band messed up my stomach so much I keep losing anyway. Silver lining?

Why am I still here you may ask, well I figure in those 8+ years I've learned a whole lot not just about the band and sleeve but also about the RNY and DS. See before I got the band I was looking at RNY so read a lot about that too. So the way I see it is why should I just take everything I've learned and just walk away. People here have been a fountain of information for me over the years so it is only fair that I share that back with the newbies who are afraid, nervous and ignorant of what happens in each type of surgery.

So for good or bad I'll still be here answering the same questions over and over (and yeah I'll be ripping my hair out on some days) and I'll do my best to help calm nerves and hand out my personal advice as best I know how. So kinda like that annoying old auntie I'll be here to share my annoyance with you all.

Nmmsg
on 5/7/15 4:17 am
VSG on 07/09/13

Thanks for the reminder.  I am almost two years out and do check posts almost everyday.  I will try to be more mindful of the needs of others.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 5/7/15 9:45 am - MI

Your post struck a chord with me. I have been a member here for 13 months and during this time I have read a lot, posted some and comment weekly. There has been a lot of people that have dropped off and those consistent people who are always here for support. I have wondered what happened to those who have dropped off. Life has got more challenging and time consuming for me the past four months & I don't spend as much time on this board as I use to. With that being said I find that I still need this board to succeed and I make it a priority! Thanks for posting and sharing!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Most Active
Recent Topics