Teacher Appreciation Week...

wyo_sarah
on 5/5/15 1:49 am

...is hard for me.  Why is appreciation always shown with food?!

Tracy D.
on 5/5/15 2:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Probably because it's easy and people don't have to put a lot of thought into it.  Just bring in a pan of brownies and call it good, right?  

What happened to the good old days when kids brought apples to their teachers? 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/15 3:12 am

I hear you. I have actually taken pictures of the spreads we have in the teacher/staff room at my school because people don't believe me! We often have weeks with two or three food days where the tables are literally filled with baked goods, chocolates, bagels, donuts, etc... Of course, there is the occasional fruit plate thrown in, but dear God the sweet treats abound!

Showing appreciation with food is age old. Think about it: ages ago food was not nearly as abundant and treats were not the norm as they are today (thus the reason they are called treats! duh....) so to show appreciation of others people often used special foods to express their thanks. It is a tradition that still works for most, except those of us with food issues and disordered eating.

Laura in Texas
on 5/5/15 3:19 am

Due to our state testing this week, our school celebrated a few weeks ago. OMG the amount of food was CRAZY and I ate all of it!! Thankfully I have had time to detox since then 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

mmsmom
on 5/5/15 4:27 am - Woburn, MA

On the bright side, at least you're appreciated :D

VSG on 04/28/2014

Kellyrob
on 5/6/15 6:44 am
VSG on 04/20/15

I am a nurse and it's the same for us. Families bring in baskets of goodies, donuts, bagels and so on. Even the staff have potlucks often and the table is filled with "junk". It is so hard but stay strong and for me I keep in my mind "I didn't do all this for nothing, and I choose to be healthy " 

Most Active
Recent Topics