Post-Op - Day 3

truk911
on 5/1/15 7:50 am

This week has been surreal.  Arrived at the hospital at 8AM on Tuesday, April 28th as I was scheduled for 10AM surgery.  First surgery of the day ran late, so I didn't get 'prepped' until nearly 9AM.  From there is was a whirlwind, spoke to the surgeon and anesthesiologist, several nurses and kissed my wife goodbye and I was off to the OR.  Last thing I remember was sliding myself, ever so graceously, from the hospital bed onto the OR table.  Then lights out.

Next thing I remember is waking up in recovery and when I was able to focus my eyes the clock showed 1150AM.  I was having a lot of pain and they were quickly pumping me with pain meds.  I was awake in recovery until I was moved to a regular room around 330PM.  I had a lot of issues with gas pain and nausea.  Meds and pain pump did the trick.  Stayed Tuesday and Wednesay night in the hospital and was released on Thursday.  

Home trying to keep myself eating a full liquid diet every 2 hours and slipping on water.  That has been tough.  2oz-3oz per 'meal' is all I can muster and still working on my first bottle of water of the day.  Off of pain meds, except to sleep at night and very little gas pain.  The next two weeks of full liquid diet are going to be rough, but I know the reason behind it and I will appreciate a blended meal in two weeks.

Looking forward to the next few months as I progress though recovery and the diet plan.

Gwen M.
on 5/1/15 7:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congratulations on making it through surgery!  Walk and sip as much as you can and heal well.  Be kind to your body!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Luvmygs
on 5/1/15 8:21 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Try some sugar free popsicles and keep sipping away on your water. It really does get better. Drinking beef and chicken broth was very hard for me. So my Nutritionist told me to purchase my favorite soup and put through strainer and drink the broth. Broth never tasted SO GOOD! Keep to your plan and allow your stomach to heal. Good luck and hope you have a fast recovery.

PrayMore
on 5/1/15 9:22 am

Congratulations! I struggled with nausea and getting all of the fluids in - I really loved herbal tea, like chamomile. My sleeve still likes warm drinks. Best wishes to you! You'll look back on this time in a few months and marvel at how quickly it went! 

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Paula1965
on 5/1/15 11:23 am
VSG on 04/01/15

Congratulations! Welcome to the loser's bench!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Scott S.
on 5/1/15 9:42 pm - TX

Congrats!  This journey can be pretty incredible, so enjoy.

Sip. Walk. Repeat.

Welcome to the other side!

VSG: 8/8/13 

MrOpera
on 7/30/15 10:47 pm - El Granada, CA

I'm at day 3.  Nutritionist told me I could try some applesauce today and that was life changing.  The taste and texture were both very satisfying.

Dealing with a sore throat which I don't really enjoy as I am a singer.

Doing well with getting my water down.  Slept A LOT today...I desperately needed it.

On to day 4...

truk911
on 8/12/15 3:08 pm

It gets much easier, as I hope you are finding out.  I just had my 3 month checkup last week, I am down 115lbs!  Eating 3-4 times per day, mostly all protein and no carbs, never hungry and have to remind myself to eat lunch.  Dinner in a restaurant turns into 3 meals.  I am amazed at the progress.  Walking 4-5 miles per day, something I could never have done.

Most Active
Recent Topics