5diabetics who have had VSG

Oneillch
on 5/7/15 8:50 am, edited 5/7/15 8:51 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Kaiser patient as well with Type 2 Diabetes (3 yrs). Sleeved 3 months ago & stopped Metformin (2000 dose/day) the day before surgery. Now, my FBS's are between 93-108 & my A1c at last test (@ 2 months) was 5.6 down from 7.8 pre-surgery. I had done my hw and wanted the VSG & when we met the Surgeon never tried to convince me to reconsider having an RYN. And when I met with the Nutritionist, last month, she said that my numbers would probably continue to improve. 

mickeymantle
on 5/7/15 4:21 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i was diabetic took slow acting insulin byetta  ans 2  1000 mg metiformins a day

day I went home from the hospital I was off insulin and byetta and was just on metiformin , with a1c of 5.8 after 1 1/2 years my pcp just took me off metiformin  , my fasting blood sugar has been 110 -120 my pcp says its ok as long as it stays under 130 have not had a a1c since stopping

my surgeon says both rny and vsg help diabetes about the same, for very bad diabetes a ds is the way to go 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/7/15 5:14 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I forgot how long I've had diabetes since I didn't know I had it till I was in the hospital, but I'd say I had it for 6 years. At that time I was on the pills, & long acting & short acting insulin. Over the years thru diet & lifestyle changes I got off the insulin but I still had to take the pills.

I chose VSG, it seemed a better fit for me. I'm now on the lowest dose of diabetes medication available & am working towards being off the pills totally. My A1C continues to be under 6, & my Dr now wants me to take blood sugar rdgs b4 & after I eat, & so far I've been averaging 85 b4 meals & close to a 100 after them. I'm thinking if the numbers stay like this I might get off the meds by next checkup.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/15 6:28 pm

Thank you so much for the info. I'm going to hold fast for the sleeve. Even if I still can't use nsaids, the risk of complications is so much less. Like I have seen others say, the trade-off for 18 months of malabsorption seems too great.

Most Active
Recent Topics