Time off work to have surgery

Emeraldcity02
on 4/29/15 8:41 am

Has anyone ever had trouble getting the time off work to have the procedure? My very first appointment is tomorrow morning at 9:30, but I'm worried about my job allowing me to be away for the time I'll need to heal. Is there a law that allows for this time and how does it work? I live in Florida If that makes a difference. Thank you all in advance. 

Jessca
on 4/29/15 12:15 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

It is covered under FMLA if FMLA is applicable to your employer. They have to have more than 50 employees and you have to have worked there for a year prior to leave. There may be more requirements so definitely look into it. Even if FMLA doesn't apply your employer may have their own policy for disability/sick time. I know everyone is different but definitely if my (desk) job was on the line I could have gone back to work after a week maybe even less. I'm going back on Monday after 2 weeks. I don't see it being a problem. Just FYI.

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

Emeraldcity02
on 4/29/15 1:06 pm

Thank you for responding. Are they required to give me FMLA? As long as I have a doctors note? My job has way more then 50 employees, and I've been there two years, my only concern is that because I'm a nurse it's extremely hard for them to find nurses to work and any given week I'm working 8-24 hours of overtime. I've worked 40 hours of over time in one week within the last 4 months twice. I'm very concerned they won't be happy with me being gone for almost a month. But I have to do this. I can't keep chickening out. I'm almost 400 pounds. My first appointment is tomorrow morning. 

mickeymantle
on 4/29/15 3:13 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

just make shore to give them plenty of time to find someone to cover for you , then it is there problem

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

ipray
on 4/30/15 12:35 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I used my vacation time.  Ask if you can use vacation or sick days, or if you can use future vacation/sick days.  Also, if you plan surgery around a holiday, take avantage of having the additional day/days off.  Explain to your surgeon that you need to schedule around a holiday.  (Example: I get 2 days off for Thanksgiving, so if you planned surgery the day before and took the following week off, you would only have to ask for 8 days off.  That would give you 11 days of recovery, weekends included).  Don't worry about missing a holiday, as it is only one and you will have many others to enjoy.  If you find you need more time off once you have the surgery, have your surgeon provide you with a sick note stating you need additional time off. (My surgeon gave me a note at my first visit (about a week after surgery) for 3 weeks off.  Hope this helps you.

whatsinyoursleeve
on 4/30/15 1:39 am

I got my surgery date enough time in advance to schedule vacation time.  I didn't feel like telling them I was having surgery and why. Had I not been approved I would have told them. They have to allow you the time off determined by your surgeon. I am a nurse and I went back to work with no restrictions after 2 weeks.  No problems. 

Good luck on your journey!

Jenna

SATXVSG
on 4/30/15 1:50 am, edited 4/30/15 2:24 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

If they are subject to FMLA laws, then yes they have to give you the time off.  Plus, it cannot be held against you in any type of annual employment review.

When I scheduled my surgery, I made sure it was during a slow time at work.

Just because they cannot  officially hold it against you doesn't  mean they won't remember it in other ways.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Most Active
Recent Topics