Hiatel Hernia Question

zzblond
on 4/29/15 3:47 am

Anyone here have a hiatal hernia repair at time of VSG, and how much reflux do you still have?  I am considering the VSG procedure and have a hiatal hernia,  I understand that the repair may take care of the reflux problem or the VSG could make it worse.  Just wondering how others who had this procedure are doing?  Thanks 

toddwho23
on 4/29/15 3:52 am

I had a major hernia repair with my VSG. I was on Prilosec and Zantac prior to surgery and was still experiencing irritation up my esophagus. I had surgery 2/2/15,  and now take Nexium after eliminating Prilosec, Zantac and a 2 month trial of Protonix. I still have a lot of acid that causes some reflux with certain foods (BBQ sauce, pork, some tomato sauces) and quite a bit of nausea. Nexium has addressed the nausea the best, but I still experience it daily. It's become my new normal and doesn't prevent me from getting my protein and fluids in as prescribed. 

Hope we this helps& good luck!

Deb

zzblond
on 4/29/15 4:42 am

Thank you for your reply Deb.  I have been on Prilosec for 20 years and as of yesterday the doctor put me on Protonix to try as my reflux has gotten worse.  I have never tried Nexium but I will keep that in mind should nausea develop.   Good luck on your continued success,  maybe when you have lost enough weight the reflux will be gone.  Wouldn't that be wonderful!

Have the best day ever,

ZZ

toddwho23
on 4/29/15 7:10 am

Fingers and toes crossed! 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/29/15 8:10 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I had a hiatal hernia that was repaired during surgery. I was on a ppi for about a month b4 surgery & a month or 2 afterwards. I haven't needed it anymore after that. My Gerd was very mild though.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

spuddzy
on 4/29/15 8:50 am - NY

I had a Hiatal hernia repaired during my Lap band surgery 2010 and then I took Neium. since 2014 VSG I take Prilosec I find it more helpful than Nexium. I still have to watch certain foods and not eat anything spicy after dinner...When I do I experience heartburn and nausea...

spuddzy

ipray
on 4/29/15 10:19 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Prior to VSG surgery I had been on prescription Prevacid for many years for acid reflux.  Had a Hiatal Hernia repair during surgery and went back on the prescription Prevacid.  I have had no occurrence of acid reflux and I am about 6 months out.  Good luck!

ipray
on 4/29/15 10:22 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Prior to VSG surgery I had been on prescription Prevacid for many years for acid reflux.  Had a Hiatal Hernia repair during surgery and went back on the prescription Prevacid.  I have had no occurrence of acid reflux and I am about 6 months out.  Good luck!

zzblond
on 4/30/15 3:10 am

Thanks to all of you for your input.  I guess I should expect to be on PPIs no matter what.  At least none of you have said your reflux is worse than before surgery.  That's a good thing!

Blessings to everyone,

~ZZ   

Most Active
Recent Topics