3 days post surgery and hungry

MST14
on 4/23/15 7:53 am

I had surgery on Monday and I feel hungry. I really am missing food. Is this normal? 

sds0029
on 4/23/15 9:40 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Hummm...I can only comment on my experience.  I was not hungry and it sounds like you are dealing with head hunger.  When I truly was hungry 2 ozs of broth was so filling.  Your hunger could also be tummy acid.  You taking your meds?  

Hang in there you got this 

Jiliana2
on 4/23/15 11:17 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Agreed. If you are feeling "hungry" it's likely one of two things:

1. Head hunger. In which case you need to learn what your triggers are, how to avoid them and what you can do to overcome them when they occur, or
  2. Acid in your new sleeve. Sometimes after sugery, acid can rise up and make us feel something akin to hunger. It's not true hunger and most of us are prescribed an acid-blocker (a PPI) to combat that. Talk to your surgeon or team to see if you can start taking one if you are not already, or if you are taking one, you may need to change it or increase the dosage.

I hope you can get it sorted. But I truly doubt it's real hunger you are experiencing. All your nerves in the stomach were cut so it's impossible to have the true sensation of hunger at this point.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

etiedeman
on 4/23/15 11:43 pm

I'm 10 days out now. I was STARVING for the first couple days. I think it's because I can't do the artificial sweeteners and everything except savory broths had them in them. I advanced to full fluids (creams, heartier soups, etc) the other day and I'm feeling much better. I calculated that I'm getting around 600-700 calories/day, but I feel satisfied.

It didn't help much that I am staying with my parents and they like to have bacon in the mornings. I can't wait for bacon.

Hang in there. Water water water. The first week is miserable, then it starts to get better.

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

DFoote
on 4/23/15 11:50 pm, edited 4/23/15 11:51 pm
with

First of all let me say I am sorry you are struggling. I have to say I struggled a little too. I think it's normal to morn over a part of your life that is now gone. The important thing is that you don't stay there.  Let's face it, food was a huge part of our lives for a pretty long time and now we have decided to replace it with healthier things. I remember feeling hunger ,at times, right after surgery. But what made me feel better about it was 1. I was not having "cravings" ( I loved sweets) and 2. a little bit of food went a long way. You have to remember, everyone's experience is different. If you are feeling hungry ALL the time, or even if you are just concerned about it, it's worth contacting you Dr. about. Also do you have a support group or support system that you can vent t?.  You may just need to talk out something with someone. ( I remember feeling angry at times because I felt hungry or couldn't have a certain food. Good news though it passed quickly)  I hope this helps and I wish you the best. Hang in there it get easier.   

Diane Foote

Most Active
Recent Topics