Post surgery poll, please answer

Luvmygs
on 4/30/15 12:27 am, edited 4/30/15 12:27 am
VSG on 12/04/14

1.  1 week after surgery was my first visit with the surgeon, now its every 3 months. I'm in constant contact with my NUT via email or phone. With my program, I received tons of written information to get me through the first year after surgery.

2. Yes, my NUT gave me a goal of 64 grams of protein and it was based on my height.

3. First month in order to meet my 64 grams of protein, it was required that I drink 3 protein shakes a day. Now that I'm 4 months and eating more, I only need 1 protein shake a day. I was told by my NUT that as long as I need to fulfill my daily requirements of Protein, I should continue drinking at least 1 protein shake a day. As I get further out, protein shakes or protein bars can be taken between meals only as a snack. Its all about getting in your required grams of protein for the rest of your life. Good luck.

wyo_sarah
on 4/30/15 1:26 am

1. I had a post op appointment 2 weeks post op and then at 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, and one year.  Those are with the surgeon.  After that I think I see the surgeon every year forever.

2.  My goal is 60 - 90 grams of protein per day.

3. My doc said to drink 3 protein drinks a day for the first 6 month and after that to get all my protein from food.

whatsinyoursleeve
on 4/30/15 1:31 am

I had a one week post op appt with the surgeon, 2 month his NP, and 6 month with him again. Next appt is at the 1 year mark.  I had diet and exercise appt with each.  All appts in person.  My protein goal is 60-80 gms, the first 2 months were 3 meals and 2 protein shake snacks (15 gm protein each). After that protein shakes are encouraged but not mandatory.  I still drink a premier protein shake almost everyday and I am almost 8 months out. Isn't it crazy how different everyone's regimen is? 

Good luck on your journey!

Jenna

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/15 2:36 am

Dr. visits: 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, every year thereafter.

Protein goals: 1-6 weeks 60 grams per day, 80-100 grams per day for the rest of the weight loss phase.

Protein shakes for the first 6 weeks (at least 2 at 20 grams each). Then reduced to 1 and gradually the goal is to get all protein from real food. (I still take a protein shake daily in the morning to kick start the day with protein. I'm never hungry when I first get up, so the shake helps me get something in my stomach and give me nutrition to break the nighttime fast.)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/30/15 5:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

1. First visit was 2 weeks post-op. After that, one visit every 3 months. After the one-year mark, checkups every 6 months. I see only the surgeon and don't work with a nutritionist.

2. My goal is/was 60 - 80g protein, set by the surgeon + nutritionist (works together in the same office).

3. The surgeon recommended protein supplements "as needed" to hit my protein goals for the day. I had shakes and powder for the first month or so. Once I was OK with solid food, I had the occasional protein bar (as long as it has 10g protein per 100 cal), and I still have them once in a while for lunch.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/30/15 7:44 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I live on another side of the ocean so flew in (to Montreal) for my surgery and saw my surgeon at one week post op and that is it. 

No dietician or nutritionist. I got the Cornell plan to guide me and what I learned on OH.

surgeon sent me the bloodwork script for 3, 6 and 12 months post op. I am supposed to do a yearly check up with the same blood work now with my family doctor.

i was not given a protein goal and my surgeon was not all that excited about protein supplements but I did have a protein coffee drink evety morning or the occasional protein hot chocolate or unjury protein chicken soup and the odd quest bar. I stopped daily protein supplementation a year post op when I could eat enough from my meals and snacks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

angiekrn
on 4/30/15 9:29 am - Brighton, MI

10 days, 1,3,6 months. My six month appointment is in a few weeks, not sure if there will be a 9 month or go to 1 year. I see the dietician with every visit. I can call or email anytime. I was called by the PA twice to check on me post op the first month.

60 grams per day

protein shakes 3 times a day for 1 month, 2 times a day for 2 months. Then at 3 months I could use bars or no supplement at all as long as I got my 60 grams in.

frisco
on 4/30/15 11:47 am

Surgeon appointments: Pre-op, 2 weeks, 1 month, monthly till goal.....than I did monthly for the next 6 months. And he recommends yearly for life.

Surgeon Facetime:(not talking about iphone) Combination of appointments and support groups that he runs himself. I saw him an average of 3 times a month during WL and several years into maintenance.

He is available for his patients, I have his direct e-mail and cell/text number.

Registered Dietician: Pre-op and pre-release from hospital and monthly and as needed further out.... email and phone contact.

Minimum 70grams for women and minimum 90 for men.

Supplements for sure early out and through WL as needed. I'm 5.5 years out and still do them for breakfast sometimes. He recommends trying to get 30 grams of protein within the first hour of waking.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics