Fruit smoothies

Banana14
on 4/12/15 7:16 am

Hey!! Do any of you guys make fruit smoothies for breakfast? If so what do you put in them?

weese
on 4/12/15 7:47 am
VSG on 02/26/14

I can't tolerate dairy much any more but in the beginning I could. I used 1/2 cup of plane Greek yogurt, some unflavored protein powder, a splash of mil****il u get the right consistancy along with a tablespoon of sugar free cheesecake instant pudding mix and frozen strawberries or peaches. 

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

Gwen M.
on 4/12/15 8:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Fruits are really high in sugars/carbohydrates and my plan is pretty firm about avoiding liquid calories aside from my protein shake.  Liquids, in general, don't trigger a feeling of satiety, so they're not really where you want to be getting your calories from.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

poplargreys
on 4/12/15 9:13 am
VSG on 03/31/15

My plan strongly suggests avoiding drinkable calories (smoothies, milkshakes, coffee drinks) for life. I was also instructed to avoid fruits until maintenance, and even then to add them back in carefully as even natural sugars can trigger cravings. My last 'food funeral' before surgery was a delicious smoothie made with yogurt, mango, pineapple, banana and berries, and I'm not gonna lie, smoothies are something I will miss more than many other junky foods. But what I WON'T miss is weighing 315lbs and treading on the edge of weight related major health issues, so mourning the loss of a favorite food is so trivial in the long run. At least to me.

frisco
on 4/12/15 9:14 am

Fruit is a very efficient delivery system for sugar.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/15 10:06 am

I'd recommend waiting until after weight loss for a fruit smoothie. If you need to have some fruit, it is always best to eat it in it's natural state. The delivery of the fructose is much slower when fruit is eaten in its natural state. Slower delivery means less of an insulin spike which results in a lesser risk of storing sugar as fat. Hope that makes sense.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/12/15 6:39 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Not really an option for the weight loss phase. We are also discouraged from drinking our calories and fruit smoothies are very high in calories and carbs. I would stay away from that until maintenance and even then I would probably stay away.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

changingmylife4ever
on 4/12/15 7:49 pm

I don't drink smoothies and only drink protein drinks every once in a while, but, I have/do eat 4 oz of frozen strawberries every day and have for over a year now. It has not prevented me from losing weight.  m still losing weight, now 17 months out.  I eat them at breakfast along with my eggs. This is the only fruit I do eat. Everyone is different. Sugar in fruit is not the same sugar as in cake, etc. and the body uses it in a different way

SW 291, CW 140

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/12/15 8:04 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Oh I absolutely agree. I eat fruit also. Strawberries in particular - probably like you, every day! Fresh from the market or when in season, from my garden. I just eat them whole, not in smoothies (presumably there are other things added to smoothies to make them smooth like milk or yogurt or other fruit or more fruit).

As far as protein drinks, I don't do protein drinks or shakes anymore either. I did for a year or so after surgery when my capacity was too small to get all my protein from real food. 

As far as sugar in cake and sugar in fruit being different and used differently by the body - it well may be - but not what my endocrinologist tells me. She tells me that sugar is sugar when converted into glucose by the body it is used exactly the same way regardless of its healthy or unhealthy origins (fruit or cake)!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

rocky513
on 4/12/15 9:57 pm - WI

Sugar is sugar and the body uses it EXACTLY the same way. White or brown sugar is a natural product made from a plant, sugar cane.   What the body sees differently in cake than fruit is all the processed flour and baking chemicals which raises blood sugar also.  With fruit you at least get a little fiber, but don't fool yourself.  You CAN and WILL gain weight from eating too  many fruits.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics