Eating after VSG and Gallbladder removal? Side Effects? Need info

MissNexxie
on 4/4/15 10:33 pm, edited 4/4/15 10:48 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

(reposting as my first one got cut off)

I had my vsg 11 months ago, hit goal and now am scheduled to have my gallbladder out in a few weeks, almost on my surgiversary. I'm trying to get info on what foods to eat afterwards and have read some scary, scary stuff on the internet about ongoing gas, flatulence and embarrassing urgent diarrhea after gallbladder removal with dairy products, meat, coffee and some veggies. People's accounts of difficulty with many foods and some having to resort to wearing Depends when eating out. Needless to say, I'm scared.

I am a fairly low-carber and foods like eggs, cheese (25% or less mf), greek yogurt (0-2% mf), pb2, meat/jerky/turkey pepperoni are real staples in my diet.  Carbs beyond fruits and veggies are real triggers for me.  How much will I have to change my diet post-surgery? If i have to move to a low fat/high carb food plan it will be a big issue for me, realistically.  I don't deal well with those foods and am actually considering postponing the surgery and living with my faulty GB and pain because i'm terrified of gaining weight back. And I don't think I could cope with eating trigger foods and the effect they have on me.

I'm looking for real truths from VSG vets who've had their GB removed.  What does your food plan look like post-GB surgery? what are ongoing side effects? Can I still eat fairly low carb?  Am I looking at a future with Depends when I go out to eat? (seriously).

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

MissNexxie
on 4/4/15 10:40 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm sorry folks, this thing won't let me post my whole question, here's what's missing from above:

I am a fairly low-carber and foods like eggs, cheese (

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

rocky513
on 4/4/15 11:47 pm - WI

The worst thing you can do is search the internet for info.  The people who have problems are the ones that post complaints.  The rest of us are out there living our lives (in regular underwear) with no problems at all.  I had my gall bladder out years ago and have never had a problem eating low carb.  If I eat an extremely fatty food I might get a little gassy, but who's to say that's from the gall bladder removal?  

STAY OFF THE INTERNET!  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

MissNexxie
on 4/5/15 12:28 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Lol! That's what my hubby says, too. I'm trying to arm myself with lots of info but, yes, I see there are trolls out there. That's why I'm inquiring on this forum, to get accurate info. Thanks!

novascotiadawn
on 4/6/15 1:13 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Had the sleeve, then gall bladder removal... I could only dream of having diarrhea now! LoL... Truthfully nothing has changed!!! Except for no more pain... 

As my partner says... You research to much and we become hypochondriacs! :) 

wishing you you all the best! 

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Most Active
Recent Topics