I have ZERO willpower

Mary Gee
on 4/4/15 12:35 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

You definitely are not alone.  We all experience head hunger.  Realizing it is head hunger is a big step in itself.  I think your thought of switching your "food" meal to the evening would work out well for you.  Night time snacking is hard, because during the day you're busy and don't have time to think about food.  I try to busy myself in the evening by doing puzzles/games on my computer, going out to the library (or reading library books on-line), etc.  You mentioned "binging" -- what were you eating?  If you must have something, make it some cheese or beef jerky that will "stick to the ribs".

As far as therapy, I just had my first appointment last week.  I felt optimistic when I left, and look forward to the next one.  This therapist does not deal specifically with eating disorders, but does deal with "addictions" -- which food is!

You can do this -- but it's not easy.  You can't think that surgery will solve all your problems.  It's a tool that you have to help you - but by itself, it's not the solution.  You will always be faced with making the right choices, etc.

Good luck to you -- I hope you can meet the challenge and get your surgery done in May.  Best wishes for success.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

BrookaTM
on 4/4/15 1:20 am

Thank you,.

I am so glad that I posted here... I am feeling better already! 

I really don't think surgery will solve my problems, I knew this process was work, and that I would have to deal with things that I hadn't really ever dealt with.

I guess I didn't figure that my "issues" would pop up so soon, or so prevelantly! 

I should have done homework last night, I had things to turn in, . that maybe would have saved me. 

HW 342, Consult weight 317, 308 current weight   

r_woods
on 4/4/15 12:46 am

When I tried other diets and eating ha*****anges in the past, honestly it was easier for me to have my meal at lunch with my co workers than it was to drink a shake.  I think that the fact that you have already realized that "head hunger" is an issue is a good thing.  You'll get through this, it will all work out!  And don't stress, you've got all of us here to support you as well.  :)  

Rhonda  :O)

MissNexxie
on 4/4/15 1:01 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Try not to drink too many of your calories, the shakes don't give your stomach anything to digest. Stick with high protein, low carb such as hard boiled eggs, cheese, tuna, grilled meats and add in some salad greens or veggies for fiber. Snack on cheese strings, greek yogurt and/or veggies with tzatziki or hummus.

The shakes are important but shouldn't be too prevalent. Try to wait 30 mins after eating to drink anything. Its a good habit to get into and helps you to feel fuller, longer. And write everything down.

You can do this. You really can.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

BrookaTM
on 4/4/15 1:18 am

That true, and maybe that is where I am going wrong.  HOwever, I am trying to lose a large amount of weight in a short time, I am hoping that increasing my protien and decreasing my carbs will really help me in that aspect.  However, I suppose adding more solid protien, like the suggestions you provided, may help me keep my protien intake up AND make me feel like I am eating something.  Thank you!

MegZorar
on 4/4/15 1:06 am

Congrats on the 5-pound loss. Didn't your program give you an eating plan? Or is it all liquids until May? I couldn't tell from the post. 

Here's what was used in my program:

breakfast:

8oz skim milk

1/2 scoop protein powder

4 oz fruit

Morning Snack

protein shake (premade or made with powder and water)--NOT a protein bar

Lunch

6-8 oz low fat/light yogurt

4 oz fruit/veg

Afternoon snack:

1 oz nuts OR 2 tbsp peanut butter OR 1/2 cup beans OR hummus

4 oz fruit/veg

Dinner

4 oz protein

4 oz veg with 1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 cup whole grain starch OR 1 slice whole grain bread OR 1/2 potato

Early evening snack

8 oz skim milk

1/2 scoop protein powder

4 oz fruit

BrookaTM
on 4/4/15 1:16 am

No.. there was no eating plan.  They wanted to get me in with a nutritionist however, there wasn't an appointment available that day.  The surgeon is a 3 hour drive one way, so my next appointment I am seeing all three, the NUT, the Excercise Physiologist, and the Surgeon, and going to a support group meeting.  I had no instruction on losing weight for pre-op, just "Must be 286 at pre-op appointment"..  I have been going to message boards and cruising the internet for tips on how to lose weight quickly.. 30 pounds in a month is a HUGE amount.

I don't even know what kind of a pre-op diet I will have to be on..  all liquids for how long, or just clears 2-3 days before sugery?  I have no idea.  I am going to call monday and ask some more questions.  They DID try to sell me a $130 bundle of hi protien food , but I am self pay and need to save my $ for the actual surgery. 

psren13
on 4/4/15 2:36 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

I am less than 4 weeks out and have definitely experienced the head hunger--tough cookie to deal with but it can and WILL be done.  I don't have a therapist per se but it is advisable.  Our food "addicition" is one of the reasons we are all here on OH and looking to have or already had WLS.  How many diets and fads and prepackaged meal plans and diet pills have we gone through but none worked long term? And why?  Because we didn't deal with the addiction in our heads.  No miracle cure out there, just great tools if we get our own act together.  But first, track everything that goes into your mouth, a great tool that many of us use is MyFitnessPal.  And be honest on it.   You are the only one that will see it so be totally honest with yourself.  You can see where your calories, carbs, proteins are and how to possibly tweak them.  Your dense proteins like meats will keep you fuller longer, space it all out.  Don't drink anything 15 to 30 mins before eating and 30 mins after eating (nothing to drink with the meal either).  Go to a site "The World according to Eggface".  She has many great recipes for all phases of this journey including the pre-op.  Make sure you are really ready to commit to the life changes (especially iincluding eating and foods).  Post-its all over of why you need to do this, ie health issues, recreational,etc.  Post several pics of yourself on the fridge and bathroom mirror and ask yourself if the girl in the picture is happy and what is going to make her happier.  

Good luck and keep posting here.  We all have been there or going through it.  There are alot of good people with good experience and advice..  Pam

grayC
on 4/4/15 2:20 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Here's what helped me stick to my pre-op diet

I had 2 protien shakes a day and then for 1 meal and only 1 meal

I had whatever I wanted...I wanted to go to Perkins for 

breakfast..that was it...craving a meatball sub form my favorite deli...that was it....

pizza at my favorite pizza place for dinner that was it...just a simple home cooked dinner..that was it....

It totally work d for me, because I could look forward to whatever I wanted and didn't get diet fatigue..

now this being said , I don't know how much you have to loose by when...

KayDeeCee
on 4/4/15 2:40 am, edited 4/4/15 2:41 am
VSG on 01/26/15

Maybe you need to try a different brand of Protein Shake. Yours has 17 grams of Protein. I use Premier Protein which has 30 grams of Protein, 5 grams Carbs, 3 grams Fat, and 3 grams of Fiber, and 1 gram sugar. Higher protein satisfied your hunger more. You can get it at Costco for a reasonable price. I had to be strictly on a Liquid Diet for two weeks Pre-Op. I drank one of these for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. The first three days were tough...i was VERY hungry. After that it was manageable. During those first few days of Pre-Op Hunger, KEEP YOUR EYES ON YOUR GOAL OF YOUR DESIRED SURGERY DATE. Perhaps plan something FUN that is not food-related during that time...A Massage, a Pedicure, etc.

Best wishes for YOU! :-) Kay

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

Most Active
Recent Topics