VSG and a Hernia Repair

sh44
on 4/3/15 8:28 am

I would like to know how many people have had VSG and a hernia repair and how you are doing after surgery. Did you suffer from acid reflux or GERD prior to surgery? Did it come back after surgery?

Please tell me your story.

Thank you to all *****ply!!

Stacy_WLS
on 4/3/15 9:51 am

I had VSG and a hiatial hernia repair.  I didn't know that I had the hernia until post surgery when my surgeon told me he fixed it.  I did not have GERD (now or then).  I think my recovery was a bit more painful b/c of the repair, but honestly it wasn't bad.  After I got on protein shakes (day 4), I started getting better very quickly.  I was running 2 weeks out and downhill skiing a month out.  

Good Luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

mickeymantle
on 4/4/15 1:42 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my surgeon told me almost a third of his patients have a hernia even if it does not show up on the endoscope

I had a small one and it just added a few extra minutes to the surgery , and I did fine after I woke up and they got my meds right

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

diane S.
on 4/4/15 3:45 am

i knew i had the hiatal hernia before vsg and my surgeon fixed it.  i used a ppi before surgery. afterwards, i used one for awhile (most vsg patients need to for awhile regardless of hernia) but eventually quit it.  my vsg hubby still needs a ppi after 3 years.  no big deal.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

sh44
on 4/4/15 4:09 am

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics