Weight loss slowing

Dan1962
on 4/1/15 10:13 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

So here are my stats so far, Month1 - 36.4#, Month 2 - 14.8, Month 3 - 15.7, Month 4 -14.6, Month 5 - 10.7, Month 6 - 9.6.  Half way through this month, I remain at 208.2.  I have changed a couple of things and wonder how it is contributing to the slow down.  I have keep my calories the same, 1,000 per day.  My plan calls for 3 meals and two snacks per day but it was just really time consuming thinking about meals all of the time so I switched to 3 meals, no snacks.  (Nutritionist was fine with this)  Also, I get all of my warer and protein, never had a problem with either of those.  The other thing I'm doing is running....I walked a lot but I'm now in a program for taining to run a 5K so my exercize is different. 

I have lost weight every week expect for one in February and now these two week in a row.  I'm not completely discouraged but I still have 18# to goal and want to get there.  Any thoughts?

EvergreenK
on 4/1/15 11:20 pm
VSG on 09/16/14 with

It definitely does slow down the further out you get.  I also lost weight every week for the first almost 6 months, but now with only 15lbs to go to my goal, I don't lose every week.  I also started lifting weights and doing more exercise in general.  I think that can make your muscles retain water, so that is another factor to the slow down.  Keep plugging along and ignore the scale as much as you can.  Make sure you measure yourself or try on smaller clothes as a measure of progress.  You will get there eventually!

Sandra F.
on 4/1/15 11:23 pm

I am at the 6 month mark on April 6th and have been stalled between 66-68 lbs lost for a month now, so don't feel bad.  I can't seem to get the scale moving and wish I had a solution for you.

ipray
on 4/2/15 12:15 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I am exactly the same as the previous poster smf3896!  I am at 6 month, have gone down and up the same 1 pound for 2 weeks.  I would be able to deal with it but I am at 201 and have been trying to get to Onederland.  I am so frustrated!  I have not changed my pattern of eating or excercising, so what gives?  I am so scared that I have gone into maintenance.  (And if I have, I don't know where I could could cut, as I am not eating any carbs and maybe have 2 fruits and veggies a week.  (I have lost 60 lbs. and have 40 more to go).  The only thing I can offer (and it is not much) is that you are definately not alone!

Bufflehead
on 4/2/15 12:17 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Perfectly normal. As your body gets smaller, it needs less fuel (fewer calories) to maintain its size. So you keep the amount of calories you take in the same, your caloric deficit is actually smaller due to your lower metabolic rate. With a smaller caloric deficit, you will lose more slowly than before, but you *will* lose. It sounds like you are doing a great job at following your plan and staying in touch with your team. I would bet if you stay the course you'll see a drop on the scale soon. Good luck!

Dan1962
on 4/2/15 12:54 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Thanks.  I was thinking of dropping the calories but the nutritionist said if anyhting I should increase them since the exersizing I'm doing will require more.  I'm just going to stay the course and see what happens.

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/15 4:16 am

Bufflehead hit it right on. One of the things you can look at is how you distribute the nutrition within that 1000 calories. During the last two months of weight loss I switched things up to take in a little more protein during the day and then switched my carb allotment for the day prior to working out. While I didn't lose fast doing this, I did continue to lose without stalling out. The last two months for me reaped a 12 pound loss and then I was at goal.

It's a strategy to consider, anyhow.

I am curious how you are able to get your 1000 calories in in only 3 meals. Are you eating calorie dense foods? I can do that now, but it would have been hard for me during the first year post op.

Dan1962
on 4/2/15 8:32 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I eat dense protein.   Went to 5 oz instead of 4 oz of steak, fish, chicken, etc.  I also have days when I go over because I exercise.  It isn' that hard for me though.

Gwen M.
on 4/2/15 6:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal.  :)  My loss started at 10 pounds a month.  Now I'm around 5 pounds a month.  In March I was just grateful to leave the month at the weight I started at, since I had a gain in the middle of the month!  

Stick to your plan and you'll reach your goal :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Dan1962
on 4/2/15 8:33 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Thanks Gwen, I appreciate the encouragement.  

Most Active
Recent Topics