My surgery was March 25, have been nauseated ever since

lcraver
on 3/27/15 2:33 pm - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

I was terribly nauseated after my surgery on 03/02/15. But, I forced myself to sip, sip, sip water because I did not want to be dehydrated. I was lucky enough that my surgeon had prescribed me anti nausea medication plus an acid reducer before surgery so I would have them on hand when I came home. After my surgery, I did have the complication of having to be intubated again because I was not breathing well in recovery. I think part of my nausea stemmed from this, because I coughed up bloody gunk for about 2 weeks.

There are days when I still get nauseated but I am almost 4 weeks out so I blame that on my new pouch and rewiring.  But, I remember 2-5 days out, I was sooooo sick!! It does get better but you have to drink your water... sip, sip, sip.

It gets better.

Highest weight - 440 lbs, Surgery weight - 395 lbs, Current weight - 291 lbs.

lwj
on 3/27/15 8:54 pm

I am almost 3 weeks out and had a lot of nausea in the first week due to the morphine. My dietitian told me when I wake up to drink a sip of premier and then sip liquids. It seemed to help. I am still nauseous in the morning even though I am hitting my marks in the day time for liquids and do drink a little through the night.

Jennifer G.
on 3/27/15 9:14 pm

I'm currently four months out, and I remember when. I came home I didn't want anything to drink at all. And that's when I noticed not sipping was making me more drained and very nauseous. So I started drinking chicken broth and water. And water down apple juice. And about 5 days out I was doing better. Being in the hospital for two days was hard for me because the pain medicine I hated the taste and it was making me sick.

I even throw up thr next day after surgery blood scared the crap out of me. And then I did it again when I had my scan down. They said everything I was going through was normal to continue on and make sure I stay drinking.  They also said that's the number one cause of people being put back into the hospital.  So please continue to sip each day more and more so you feel better. Try the broths they help settle your stomach.  Trust me I did alot of throwing up the first couple of weeks. Thank goodness I'm over that stage. Best of luck.

Gastro sleeve 11/20/2014, Starting weight 299, Current weight 230.5 ,Goal weight 190 or less.   

Ellie333
on 3/27/15 9:14 pm - Canada

What helped me was watered down apple juice, grape juice and broth.  Some would disagree but whatever gets your fluids up at this time is the most important.  You will eventually graduate to water but it is important now to just get those fluids in.  Good luck and I hope you feel better really soon.

Ellie

Most Active
Recent Topics