Protein Differences and Value? What's the story?

LovesDoggs
on 3/27/15 5:13 am - Clayton, CA

Hi All, I have a question about the value of different types of protein. I'm having an issue drinking enough water so I was considering trying the Health Smart or Proti liquid packets. Their protein source is listed as Hyrolized Gelatin.  I've got the ingredients list below.  What do you guys think of this as a protein source?  Any and all comments are welcome. I'm trying all sorts of different things to help me get my liquids in.  Thanks in advance for any and all commentary!

Here are the ingredients for the Health Smart Liquid Concentrate -CranGrape 

HealthSmart Liquid Concentrate - Crangrape (7/Box)

Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Water, Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Colored with Vegetable Juices, Sucralose, Potassium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate.

T. Kaupp

HW 241 SW 226 GW 140  CW 3/23/15   147   I can do this!!

Maria27
on 3/27/15 5:35 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I had a free sample of that one, and I did not like the CranGrape flavor. I also find the protein source rather sketchy. I don't think it is a complete protein source.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Gwen M.
on 3/27/15 6:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Gelatin isn't a great source or protein, so I wouldn't be using this.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

emelar
on 3/27/15 6:37 am - TX

Gelitin = collagen = good for your skin and hair, but not the kind of protein you should be worried about.  Look for whey and cassein (milk-based). 

mickeymantle
on 3/27/15 7:03 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

whey  isolate is the best kind of supplemental protien  , there is little or no lactose in it and most people can eat it

if you only eat veggies , there is soy protien and pea protien

the best way to get your protien is to eat healthy foods

fish chicken turkey , lean beef or pork

baked tilopia is usually even allowed in the pureed stage it is so easy to digest

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Hislady
on 3/27/15 7:45 am - Vancouver, WA

I lived on isopure ready to drink now alot of people hate it but I found the fruit punch and I think orange to be pretty good and had plenty of the right kind of protein. People seem to either like it or hate it so you might want to try just one bottle first, I got mine at GNC.

White Dove
on 3/27/15 9:05 am - Warren, OH

On the other hand, Proti shake are delicious and made with a blend of egg white protein, whey protein isolate and several others.  I prefer the taste of the blended proteins.  Never use gelatin proteins.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

JennyMcC
on 3/28/15 11:11 am
VSG on 02/25/15

ALL of the Nutritionists (4 different ones) at my Surgeons office told me they wanted me to use either Whey Protein Isolate, OR Soy Protein isolate.  They were very specific that this should be the very FIRST ingredient on the ingredients label.   That being said, I know that different practices have different dietary guidelines.  I did google information and learned that their actually are differences in the quality of the proteins and what your body can easily digest and use.   Good luck! 

Most Active
Recent Topics