water/protein

Jamie86
on 3/23/15 11:09 pm - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

Currently I'm 5 days post-op. I have been home for 2 days and I'm worried taut I'm not drinking enough water or protein actually I'm sure I'm not getting enough protein about a 40g right now ... Apple juice which I'm trying to stay away from all that sugar seems to be the only think that doesn't hurt going down. when I drink water it seems like I must be swallowing air because my stomach instantly starts rumbling and I feel like I need to burp. Any suggestions? 

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

jgreenlee12
on 3/23/15 11:56 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

You probably need an acid reducer. Water does not agree with the acid in my stomach and whether I eat or drink theres always gas trying to come up. My surgeon didn't give me a acid reducer/blocker so I been experimenting with OTC stuff. Right now it seems like Nexium works that best for me. Im 15 weeks post op and my acid has gotten to the point that its making me feel hungry (when I know Im not) and I don't want it to make me eat more. Im going to ask my dr for a prescription when I go back in april.

Dan1962
on 3/24/15 12:02 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Try other forms of liquid, popsicals, broth, etc.  Different temperatures help too.  It will eventually change.

iloveravens
on 3/24/15 12:24 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Someone gave me a great tip (either NYmom or the mom from Woburn, MA) lol sorry I'm no good with names...but she said to exhale through your nose when you're drinking.  This will help you to not swallow air.  It made drinking a lot easier for me in the beginning.  Also, I'd definitely ditch the apple juice.  Try Crystal Light.  Walmart makes a sugar-free brand mix and they have a Strawberry/Watermelon flavor that is the BEST.  Good luck!  xoxo 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Valerie G.
on 3/24/15 1:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You need 64oz of fluids - everything wet counts, and you need that today!  Try different flavors and tempeatures.  Try watering down the apple juice so that it's 3 parts water to 1 part juice. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PrayMore
on 3/24/15 1:56 am

Herbal teas really saved me and helped me get the liquids in! At this point, the fluids are more important than the protein numbers. You will bring those up in time, but get those fluids in. The amount of sugar in Apple Juice would cause me diarrhea. (I found this out with low calorie Gatorade that wasn't diluted). I'm nearly four months out and I am still super sensitive to sugar. Maybe some chamomile tea or Sleepytime tea, even peppermint or lemon tea, would help you get the fluids in! And I did start Prilosec OTC at one week - that helped a lot. The air burps and gurgles may continue for you. Your stomach is small and shaped different now!

Best wishes! It gets easier, I promise!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 3/24/15 2:18 am, edited 3/24/15 2:20 am
VSG on 03/16/15

They gave me 1oz cups to drink from. I used them and timed myself every 15 to 20 min and tried to do two shots of liquid protein or water or chicken broth. I got the unjury chicken broth flavor protein and some unjury no flavor proteins and do the same with that. You can mix the unflavored with broth or pea soup or tomato pepper soups.  This stuff was in my binder. Also eggface has some awesome things on her website that you can conjure up with protein power that's good for liquid. Also Greek yogurt counts as liquid.  I got some dannon oikos Wichita has 15 grams of protein in 5.3 oz.  I'm still in the liquid stage and I just make sure to breath out of my nose as the other poster said.  Good luck

Eric

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Ellie333
on 3/24/15 2:31 am - Canada

Hey Jamie my fellow NBer.  Everything clear counts towards your fluid intake of 64oz.  Broth, watered down apple juice or grape juice, SJ popsicles etc.  I know that the juice is not recommended but dehydration is a lot less desirable and a lot more dangerous.  In the beginning it is much more important to get your fluids in however you can get them in.  My tummy rumbles as well after I take a drink and the urge to burp is there soo just burp (if you can).  This will lessen as time goes by, try this method that they taught us in Moncton...when you take a drink put your tongue behind your top front teeth and take in some of the fluid a bit at a time (does that make sense?).  This just gives you a bit of control over how much water goes in at one time.  I am 5 weeks out and trust me things do improve, just try to be patient and get in as much fluids as you can, the protein will come.

Ellie

Ellie333
on 3/24/15 2:33 am - Canada

Sorry, that should say SF (sugar free) popsicles.

Cheers!

Tracy D.
on 3/24/15 2:37 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

40 grams of protein this early out is perfectly fine - don't sweat that at all.  The water is much more important!  I find that cold/cool water increases the acid in my tummy so I go with room temp or lukewarm water.  

And I perfected the "breathing thru your nose" while you drink thing -- because I swallow a LOT of air when I drink.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics