Dizziness after eating?

psychoticparrot
on 3/20/15 6:31 am

If anyone's followed my posts, you'll know I've had a difficult recovery from my 2/2 surgery -- dehydration, kidney infection, extreme weakness. I'm almost 7 weeks post-op, and a new problem had popped up during the past week.

When I stand up after eating (not overeating), I often (not always) get light-headed and need to hang on to something (like my husband) for a few minutes until it passes. It sometimes happens when I'm not eating, although not as bad.

I'm about 40 pounds down from my high weight and on high-blood-pressure meds, but is 40 pounds enough to make a difference in my dosage?

This problem is annoying and somewhat worrisome. I thought I'd check with my buds here to see if there's a simple explanation before I call my surgeon.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

zballard
on 3/20/15 7:31 am - NYC, NY
VSG on 10/08/14

Yes 40 pound lighter is enough to make a difference. You should check your pressure before taking any and all blood pressure medicine. You should also ask the doctor who prescribed the medication for parameters, so you will know when to not take the medication. Make sure you stand slowly from now on.  

Zee

5ft HW 244 SW      

Bufflehead
on 3/20/15 7:59 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

The surgery alone can make a significant difference in your blood pressure, even without waiting for any weight loss. My blood pressure basically went from super high to completely normal a week after surgery. And yes, 40 lbs can make a difference. Do you have a home blood pressure cuff to check your blood pressure? I would definitely check in with your PCP or whoever is in charge of your blood pressure meds.

In the meantime, try pumping your legs like you are riding a bicycle for at least 30 seconds before standing up. That can help with orthostatic hypotension. I am not saying that is what you have -- not a medical professional! But it seems to be a common-ish side effect for recent wls patients, and I have seen people mention this as helpful. Good luck!

psychoticparrot
on 3/20/15 8:13 am

Thank you! That's really all I needed to know! I (or rather my husband) has a blood pressure cuff. I'll start taking readings at regular times and see what the story is. Then I'll contact my family doctor.

You guys .... 

psychoticparrot

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/20/15 8:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Losing 10% of your body weight will often require a change in your blood pressure medication.  Monitor your bp and call your doctor on Monday.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Kiwideb
on 3/20/15 11:41 am, edited 3/20/15 11:42 am
VSG on 01/19/15

There is also this odd little reverse blood sugar deal that can happen. It's one of those 1% (probably even less) of all surgery things ( you mentioned after eating). It's like being a diabetic in reverse. You body produces so much insulin you get low blood sugar after eating (versus it making your bs higher).

Its an outlier (and I think perhaps mainly with RNY), but worth mentioning.

I hope things start to settle for you soon.

toddwho23
on 3/20/15 10:41 pm

Yes! I begin BP meds at 32, and never went below mid 80s on the bottom. 3 weeks after surgery, I had dizziness when standing. When I checked my BP it was 100/60. I began tracking and haven't been on BP meds for almost a month (per my GP).  I am 38 pounds down and feel great! The only advice they gave me was to stay hydrated, because dehydration makes it go even lower. Call your doc and keep sipping!

psychoticparrot
on 3/21/15 5:55 am

Thanks for the additional advice. I'm nearly certain the problem is my BP, but I'll mention that reverse-sugar effect to my doctor too. I had a real sweet tooth before my surgery.

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Recent Topics