IS IT NORMAL OR AM I FAILING:(

Nessrinl
on 3/20/15 2:24 am
with

HELLO EVERYONE, I HAVE HAVE BEEN ALMOST THREE WEEKS OUT ( SURGERY DATE 3/4/15 WEIGHT 230LBS.). I WAS DOING FINE ( IN TERMS OF GONG TO THE BATHROOM****IL A WEEK AFTER SURGERY. I CAN'T HAVE A BM. I AM ABLE TO PASS GAS AND EVERYTHING IS THAT NORMAL ? WHAT CAN I DO? I AM ALSO STRUGGLING TO KEEP WATER AND FOOD. I REALLY AM NOT MAKING MY GOAL FOR PROTEIN. I AM SUPPOSED TO HAVE 60 GRAMSS AND I ONLY AM ABLE TO GET 20-40 GRAMS IN.:( I FEEL LIKE I AM FALING. DID I MENTION THAT I CAN'T GET LOWER THAN 214 FOR A WEEK NOW:(

Elizabeth C.
on 3/20/15 2:38 am - Mansfield, TX

Your body has just been through major surgery and is adjusting.  If your having trouble having a BM, trying taking miralax to help.  It took me until about week 6 to get in the groove of getting all my protein and liquid in.... as hard as I tried.  If you are at 214, you probably started about where I did... we are considered light weights and unfortunately the weight won't drop as fast as others.  But if you stick to the plan, it will come off.  I stalled about this time (3 weeks out), meaning I didn't lose anything for 2-3 weeks... and I stall on a regular basis.  I lose for about 1-2 weeks, then stall for 2-3 weeks.  I am about 4 1/2 months out and this has been my experience so far.  You can see my stats in my signature line.

Good luck!  Stay on plan and it will work! :)

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

SoFloBrandon
on 3/20/15 2:41 am

Protein and liquid intake is your biggest issue here. My doctors couldn't stress enough how vital protein is when it comes to moving your bowels. I can recommend the Isopure Zero Carb drink (looks/feels like gatorade). It has 40grams of protein per bottle and it will kill two birds with one stone when it comes to your liquid intake issue. Also, it is delicious!

emelar
on 3/20/15 3:03 am - TX

Call your doc on the constipation and see what they recommend - they all have their favorites.  Mine was Milk of Magnesia.  Miralax is popular.  You may need to go with something stronger is it's really bad.

60g is what you aim for and this is why the protein drinks are so important in the beginning.  They count as both fluid and protein.  Find one you like and start pushing it.  Thin it down with water or milk if it's too thick.  Heck, drink plain milk if that's all you can get down.

You're not failing.  Your weight loss is fine.  Stalls are normal.  Take a deep breath and let it go!

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/20/15 1:37 pm

I'm just going to throw this out there, but I don't know if it's good advice or not after WLS. It was recommended for me after abdominal surgery.  How about some castor oil or mineral oil mixed with a little juice or something to cover up the taste.  I mixed 1 tablespoon with about a shot glass amount of OJ.  I had to take two doses before things moved, but it worked.  I know juice isn't usually allowed post-op so maybe mix it with a sugar free crystal light.  Anything to mask the taste.  And don't mix a lot because you want to drink it down in a couple of gulps.  The texture is nasty.  But it works. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

MAchick
on 3/21/15 1:16 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I would contact your surgeon to see what he or she recommends for constipation. My surgeon only recommended certain medications, and was against others.

After surgery, anesthesia slows things down a lot. On top of that, you were probably on a reduced intake diet of some sort, and now you're intake is even FURTHER reduced. For me, my surgeon's/dietician's top priority was water. Then protein. They wanted me to focus on avoiding dehydration. Decreased fluids can further impede bowel movements, along with decreased activity. So, talk to your team and tell them the situation, see what they suggest for you.

And constipation can be why you are stalled, along with not hitting protein or water goals.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics