Worried that I can't do it

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/15 5:48 am
with

I've been stalking the forums for a few months now and decided to join today.  Actually a combination of reading other's success stories here along with a few youtubers and instagramers that I follow; I decided that this will be the year that I have the VSG surgery.  I have been to 5 WLS consultations over the last 8 years.  I told myself last January 2014 that I would give myself a year to do it on my own.  After a mix of extreme dieting as well as some healthy lifestyle changes I crashed around Oct. 2014 and found that I was at my highest weight yet.  My year of doing it on my own resulted in 40 lb weight gain!  This is also of course after 3 failed Weigh****chers attempts and countless others.  I went to a consultation this January 2015 for WLS.  I found out that I have to do a 3 month monitored diet.  (this is not what my BCBS of Illinois requires, just what the particular surgeon I'm going to requires).  I was ready the night of my consultation to have surgery, in fact if the surgeon said he had a cancellation that night I would have done it.  I thought I knew everything I needed to know after months of research.  Now that I am seeing the dietitian I'm second guessing everything.  My goals 3 months PRE-OP are to have no liquids 30 mins before or after eating, eat protein first at every meal, get in an hour of exercise 4 days a week, give up pop, eat small bites and chew to applesauce consistency.  I feel like a failure and if I can't meet these goals now how am I going to do it after surgery!?  Honestly if I don't meet these goals pre-op will I fail post-op?  Also I have all the other requirements for surgery met (Psych eval and PCP recommendation, also did EKG, bloodwork, ultrasound and barium test).

ipray
on 3/16/15 9:47 am
VSG on 11/06/14

You can do it! We have all been down your road. You are just overwhelmed because you are thinking about all the changes at one time, but it is actually a progression of steps thoroughout the day. It will be much easier for you to follow the steps after the surgery than before, so in knowing that, go ahead and buckle down and do what you have to do now to get healthy later. You sound like you might be talking yourself out of it. Please don't.  Don't look back at your failures, but look forward to healthy happiness.  Don't think of your pre-diet as being 3 months, just take it a day at a time and then you won't be so overwhelmed. Even if you have to check in here every day to get through it, do it.  Remember one day at a time.  Good luck to you and keep you eye on the prize!  

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/15 11:40 am
with

Thanks!  I can tell the support here is my first step in the right direction!

TeressaJ
on 3/16/15 11:37 am

This is do-able! I had so many doubts before surgery and admit it was hard work after surgery but coming to this forum got me through many rough spots! I couldn't follow the rules pre-op, either,  but the surgery made it a lot easier to stick to them. It's a very valuable tool to have in your corner. I'm now 9 months post op and 5 lbs away from goal!

Valerie G.
on 3/16/15 10:04 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's so much easier to do it when you don't have a choice.  I applaud your tenacity just the same.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

SpikyP L.
on 3/17/15 1:26 am - NM

Hi I am in the same situation as you!!! I am on the prediet too for five weeks now and have only lost 4-5 pounds. I need to lose 25 pounds  in the three months of the prediet  .  I will not be able to do it!!! My calories daily for the last five weeks have averaged 1400. That's a big cut for me but I haven't lost what I thought!!! Any ideas????

clarkahill
on 3/17/15 1:40 pm

Get rid of any carbs for 1 whole week.  It will be the hardest thing you do, but you will get great results.  Focus on the Atkins type diet.  Carbs make you crave sweets and causes harm to your weight loss.  The first week is the hardest, but it gets much easier as time goes.  I just told myself that I have tasted that before & I will be able to taste it again.

Most Active
Recent Topics