What Sleeve Size and Capacity Really Means

frisco
on 3/16/15 5:19 am

I recently had lunch with a group of WLS patients, a nutritionist and a psychologist.

I came away with some very helpful information and clarity on several topics that I need to look into further for a project I'm involved with.

What was actually very clear is that no matter what WLS, the greater the capacity the more you may have to "diet" and be more restrictive/selective on food variety, types and preparations.

The larger your capacity, the more you "may" have to diet in the long term. (Diet meaning in that pre-op classic sense)

Sure, we must all be conscious of what we eat and dial in on a set of boundaries that works for us individually, but if your capacity is larger, you will probably have less choices and options to WL and maintenance.

I bring this up to remind you all to "Under eat your sleeve capacity" to help you get maximum WL and preserve your restriction for the long run !!!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/15 5:46 am

do you have any studies to support that? 

from studies I've seen - the difference in size is not as important as choices people post op WLS make.. 

#here is one

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

frisco
on 3/16/15 6:26 am

I've seen a lot of those, but my point is referring to the many posts about increased capacity over time and the more and more questions about re-sleeving.

If one person has a 5oz. capacity and another has a 10oz. capacity and they both have the same caloric balance point.

The person with the 5oz. capacity could possibly eat a more varied diet and the person with the 10oz. capacity may have to eat a more food restrictive diet.

My post is about preserving that restriction with restriction being a major component to the VSG.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/15 6:34 am

I guess you were not clear to the message you were trying to convey. At least not to me. 

Sometimes what we see - people who can eat more and outeat their sleeve - pouch - would come back to the support group - live or virtual (like oH) and talk about their problems.. while a lot of people who are doing just fine - are out there living their lives. 

That reminds me of a nurse I talked to - since she works in the hospital - most patients she sees long term post op WLS are the ones who have issues - so ..she concluded that lots of people have issues post op WLS...  

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jacreasy
on 3/17/15 5:29 am
VSG on 04/23/12

FRISCOOOOOO

Are u coming to the OH Conference 2015 in NC!?

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/15 6:01 am

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/16/15 6:12 am

Most men are uncomfortable discussing size in mixed company.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Grim_Traveller
on 3/16/15 7:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There have been a lot of posts lately about resleeving, other revisions, etc. All those people have a couple of things in common. They all seem to think that WLS would somehow prevent them from eating too much in the future. We all know that isn't true. No matter how small your stomach is, you can eat enough in the course of a day to gain weight. Every last one of us.

The other thing that most have in common is their belief that they are gaining weight even though they haven't changed anything, and eat the same way they have since surgery. I don't buy it. They refuse to carefully weigh their food and track what they eat. They either ignore the suggestion, or make excuses. They are too busy, they "know" how much they eat by estimating, they just want to eat like "normal" people. The list of excuses goes on.

Every last person I know that tracks their eating closely maintains their weight. I'm not saying the ONLY way to maintain is by logging food. But those that do log, do very well in maintenance.

That's what I think is the real key. Most don't log, but they weigh themselves often, and when their weight hits a certain number, they start weighing food and tracking until they reign themselves in. It's accountability, not stomach size.

Being former big huge fat people, we have very distorted ideas of how much food is enough. Being human beings, more is always better. Portions grow. It takes very little extra food to start gaining weight, especially as we get a little older.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 3/16/15 8:09 am

Well said. I completely agree.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/16/15 9:54 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I don't know as I like being referred to as "former big huge fat people..."  -- LOL, despite its accuracy Grim.  

In all seriousness, this is why I weigh and measure everything.  My idea of a "portion" feeds the entire Duggar family.  At Thanksgiving.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
Recent Topics