Two week full liquid diet

traumajunkie
on 3/13/15 12:26 pm

My surgery is scheduled for 3/24. I started my full liquids Monday and today has been horrible. I am so hungry that I ate small portion of real food today. I have another week and a half and I am struggling big time. I don't mind the full liquid part it just does not give me the sensation of feeling full. Help veterans!

PrayMore
on 3/13/15 12:50 pm

Just do your best to get through it. Many of post-ops say that it is the toughest part! After surgery, the reduced stomach and the rules you need to follow help you get through! But right now, you just need to do it! It will be a distant memory soon enough. 

My surgeon's pre-op plan was three shakes and a small very structured meal - that little meal helped me very much. I think that helped me get through.

Replace some of those old snacky habits with something else - a cup of tea, diet Swiss Miss hot chocolate - something that works for you.

You can do this! Good luck. It'll all be worth it soon, I promise!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

greensleeved
on 3/13/15 11:34 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

GUM! Gives your mouth something to do.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Rich_Vsg
on 3/13/15 1:42 pm
VSG on 03/23/15

I also started my liquid diet on Monday and I have to admit I cheated today as well I really tried not to but the head hunger won but I guess that's normal the way I see it if I could of  stuck to a diet I wouldn't  be in this situation lol...

DeborahMc
on 3/13/15 1:54 pm

I'm on day 9 of an all liquid pre-op diet. I didn't think I could do it. Many said after day 4 it gets a lot better. For me, it was a full week. And still not enjoying it. But I did find that if I blended ice, a protein shake and yogurt, it is way more filling and tastes better. Check out similar posts on this site- it saved my sanity!!

...I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world

greensleeved
on 3/13/15 11:33 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

The first 3-4 days are hell. After that it gets MUCH easier, but you need to get the eating off plan under control. It makes being post-op a lot easier. Feeling hunger is not fatal. We need to learn to live with uncomfortable feelings (physical and emotional) because for many of us those feelings are why we overeat in the first place. You don't need to feel full. You only need what your body NEEDS, not what it wants. You are on the liquid diet to shrink your liver, and an enlarged liver makes surgery more dangerous. Is that really worth it for solid food? Liquids are temporary. You can do it.

Do you have a mental health professional? If not, get one! Mine is a huge asset. Good luck.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

sds0029
on 3/14/15 1:39 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

It is so unfortunate when surgeons make their patients do a full liquid preop.  Mine did not, I was able to have protein drinks and meal replacement bars and 1 meal of 4 oz of lean meat and 2 cups for vegetables.  I also lost 15 lbs preop.  I thanked my DR for his plan because I read so much on the forum or preop folks struggling.  His response their is no data that liquid only is best and when you look at it, a patient is trying to satisfy a 60oz pouch it will be miserable.  

Sorry you have to deal but I tell you surgery is the key and yes afterwards - you will be amazed at the fullness you have.  

Hang in there 

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/15 1:47 am

If you have a Sonic's by you, buy a bag of their ice and chew on that,  or make jello jigglers recipe it's thicker and gives you something to "chew". I'm so glad my docs office allows veggies or I think I'll go crazy, one thing I've been doing though is replacing a few of my meals with protein shakes so by the time I do have to do the liquid diet I will be used to it, good luck to you.

VSGjohn23
on 3/14/15 3:24 am

Like you i'm on the 2 wk liquid diet. My surgery is a day before yours. I believe its mostly mental. You have to believe this is only for two weeks, maybe more with post op diet, then we can start to introduce regular foods. A year from now we'll be able to eat healthier foods, enjoy smaller portions yet feel full and more importantly live a much healthier life.

Most Active
Recent Topics