What would you do?

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 1:55 am

Maybe I should have phrased my question differently:  If you woke up tomorrow and you didn't have a tool, knowing now what you didn't know pre sleeve, would you do everything in your power to get it back?  Or would you take your chances that you could do it on your own, even though history shows you never could. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/11/15 1:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 11, 2015 at 8:55 AM Pacific Time, band07sleeve13 wrote:

Maybe I should have phrased my question differently:  If you woke up tomorrow and you didn't have a tool, knowing now what you didn't know pre sleeve, would you do everything in your power to get it back?  Or would you take your chances that you could do it on your own, even though history shows you never could. 

Pointless and irrelevent question. You DO have a tool, though you seem to be firmly convinced otherwise.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/11/15 7:49 am - OH

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Gwen M.
on 3/11/15 2:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

But you DO have a tool.  

Get yourself back on track with diet, stick to dense proteins, and get back on a PPI to help with the hunger that's most likely from acid.  Start tracking everything you eat with something like MyFitnessPal if you aren't already.  See your surgeon and get an endoscopy to see what's going on and if there's anything actually wrong with your sleeve.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/11/15 2:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 11, 2015 at 6:30 AM Pacific Time, band07sleeve13 wrote:

I posted this on the revision site but I would like to get as much feed back as possible. 

So here is the short version of my story. Banded 2007 did great lost weight kept it off, decided to revise to sleeve in 2013 because of how "great" everyone said it was and also honestly I was tired of feeling stuck for 6 years and just wanted to feel full for once. Since my revision Iv gained 10lbs, Iv felt hungrier (physically) than I ever did with the band (my stomach actually growls now !) and I can eat very large portions. Iv checked my X-rays and I know my sleeve is much larger than it should be and that my doc used a 42 Bougie and went very liberal at that. Iv obsessively researched options for revising the sleeve and Iv found a surgeon who is very experienced with this and who I feel good about. The question is, Iv had 2 prior surgeries with zero complications, is it crazy to risk it a third time ?? What would you do ?          

You say that you've "checked your x-rays." Have you gotten a DOCTOR's input on said x-rays? Has a DOCTOR said your sleeve is stretched beyond all hope or too large for any chance at success? Has a DOCTOR said a revision would be helpful?

Working in a bariatric clinic does not make you an experienced medical professional, nor does years of experience as a patient. That comes from working with hundreds of patients with varying experiences, and with performing hundreds of surgeries.

I get the impression that you've diagnosed yourself and you're convinced you're a failure. But as far as I see, you have no confirmation other than the passive knowledge that your surgeon did a "loose" sleeve-- and by extension convinced yourself that said sleeve has no chance for success.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 2:07 am

Yes actually I have consulted with 3 different surgeons that have told me that my sleeve is significantly larger than it should be and that they would revise it for me as much as 2/3 the current size. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/11/15 2:23 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Why are you on here asking others what they would do? You've gotten professional medical advice from 3 surgeons. It sounds like you know what you want to do, whenever anyone tells you what they would do, you jump down their throat & become very judgmental. You seem to think people are belittling you or your progress, when they are just telling you what they would do, which is what you asked.

Get the surgery, you know you want it & no one can convince you otherwise.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 2:43 am

You're right, I guess it just is hard to imagine that so many people feel that once they had a tool they could continue to be successful without the tool.  I don't feel I'm being belittle but I had hoped that my progress thus far would show that I have worked hard and have made changes to have the success that I have over the years and that I'm not looking for an easy way out.  Thank you, you're right I do want it, but  I'm scared to death of it.  It would just be nice to have had someone who understands why. 

CGCL
on 3/11/15 3:14 am
RNY on 02/19/15
saterry
on 3/11/15 3:59 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Most Active
Recent Topics