What would you do?

Gwen M.
on 3/11/15 2:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Clearly I felt that I needed this tool.  The same tool that you have and aren't working with.  The sleeve (or any WLS) isn't some magical panacea that removes the need for eating less and moving more.  

Unless you have an actual diagnosis saying otherwise, your tool is not broken.  Get yourself back on track with diet, stick to dense proteins, and get back on a PPI to help with the hunger that's most likely from acid.  Start tracking everything you eat with something like MyFitnessPal if you aren't already.  See your surgeon and get an endoscopy to see what's going on and if there's anything actually wrong with your sleeve.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 2:15 am

Apparently you don't consider 3 different surgeons telling me they would resleeve me an actual diagnosis?  To say I'm not working with my tool is inaccurate, my tool has stopped working for me though luckily I'm still hanging on by a thread which is why I still weigh less than you after 8 years.  Where will you be in 8 years if your tool stops working?  

Gwen M.
on 3/11/15 2:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You have only recently added the information that you have talked to other surgeons.  Until you have an endoscopy, you don't know what's going on and neither do any surgeons.  

What, exactly, are you eating every day?  

If my sleeve "stopped working" after 2 years, which is the time that has elapsed since your sleeve, I would follow up with my surgeon and nutritionist.  I would start tracking everything I was eating, and I would work on getting back to my basics if no malfunction was found.  

Get yourself back on track with diet, stick to dense proteins, and get back on a PPI to help with the hunger that's most likely from acid.  Start tracking everything you eat with something like MyFitnessPal if you aren't already.  See your surgeon and get an endoscopy to see what's going on and if there's anything actually wrong with your sleeve.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/11/15 3:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 11, 2015 at 9:15 AM Pacific Time, band07sleeve13 wrote:

Apparently you don't consider 3 different surgeons telling me they would resleeve me an actual diagnosis?  To say I'm not working with my tool is inaccurate, my tool has stopped working for me though luckily I'm still hanging on by a thread which is why I still weigh less than you after 8 years.  Where will you be in 8 years if your tool stops working?  

Weighing less than someone else does not make you an expert on anything.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 3:30 am

Just as one year post op sleeve does not make you an expert on how to be successful long term. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/11/15 3:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I have made no claims to expertise based on personal experience. Thanks for trying.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

saterry
on 3/11/15 1:14 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

I believe the title of your post was, ' What would you do ? '

The people that commented on this post are answering your question.

They would work the tool they have---good, bad, or ugly !

If you came here for JUST understanding and comfort then you need to state that.

You seem to be defending a 3rd surgery pretty strongly and have made up your mind already.

Good luck in your journey,,,,,,,

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 1:27 am

I must have missed where anyone said they would work with what they have. I only saw questions about what I'm eating and my exercise.  I did and do want to know what others would do but I also expected some empathy and understanding.  I'm actually shocked how quickly that others only a short time out ( 1 year is not long at all !) forget how hard it was before the surgery.  I guess I should also realize that until you actually experience what it feels like to have your tool one day and not have it at all the next that you can't even understand it enough to answer the question so I guess that was where I messed up.  If I could figure out how to post pics I would post my xray so that you all could understand what I'm dealing with. ****ep hitting the pic button but it doesn't give me the option for upload my pic.)  It's very easy to make your comments now and to be on your high horse about diet and exercise for those who are still in the honeymoon phase and it all comes so easy. 

aharris30
on 3/11/15 1:39 am
VSG on 05/13/14

Okay. I think plain and simple our stomachs will stretch to some degree. I don't know the specifics but that is just my opinion. If and when you do have the procedure what happens when your back in this situation. Because you will be.  You seem like you are looking for that magic pouch/sleeve that won't budge, but it will. To have 3 weightloss procedures within 10 years (?) is a risk in itself. You have a smaller stomach than most adults now, stick with working out, eating right, and focusing on your well being.  This is a long journey and nothing short or quick by any means.

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 1:51 am

Thank you!  This is by far the best response I have gotten so far.  I appreciate that. Yes, I've thought about will it stretch again, what then, I realize that it will but per the surgeon that I have consulted with they can reduce my current large pouch by 2/3 it's size giving me the nice tight sleeve I should have had to begin with.  So if a few years from now, you no longer feel any benefit from your sleeve, would you continue to rough it on your own or would you try to get the tool back to help you?

Most Active
Recent Topics