Dehydration

momsy55
on 3/10/15 11:01 pm - ME

I found icy cold and hot went down much easier.  Have you tried sucking on sugar free popsicles? They are 2 oz each, but I could do them back to back, as it took time for each, but not too long.  I think, early on, I was doing several a day.  Also hot broths, herbal teas, and creamed soups went down more easily.  I have always been a big water drinker, but had trouble with it.  Also, you mentioned that you are on soft foods.  Yogurt (I used plain greek yogurt) is also considered a liquid, as I could have it on my pre-op and post-op liquid diets.  I mixed in a little sugar free pudding mix for flavor, and it went down easily.  It also helped to boost my protein intake.  Maybe going back to just a liquid diet, using protein shakes and greek yogurt to get enough protein, may be helpful until you get this issue resolved.  Keep us posted and good luck!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Sandra F.
on 3/10/15 11:03 pm

I could always drink room temperature water before the surgery but after, I could not.  Try different temperatures and also different drinks.  I was lactose intolerant after surgery as well and I have always loved milk, so it may be what you are drinking.

Tracy D.
on 3/11/15 12:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It's really a vicious cycle because dehydration causes nausea and the nausea keeps you from taking in enough fluids.  And you need to be especially careful to get enough fluids when you're taking antibiotics.  

Beg, borrow or steal some anti-nausea medicine.  Go to whoever you have to:  your urgent care center, ER, family doc...but just get on it.  This isn't going to get better on it's own until you can get in 64 oz. a day.  And that's the bare minimum. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

psychoticparrot
on 3/11/15 1:59 am

Thanks, everyone. I'm so overwhelmed by all of your kind and helpful suggestions that I'm crying as I type this (gotta stop that -- loss of liquids!) I'm going to get an anti-nausea script out of my surgeon if I have to reach through the computer and choke him with his own tie. I've felt all along that a med might be the key. 

Gotta go. Surgeons to berate, popsicles to buy, Florida to enjoy. I'll give you an update tomorrow. 

Thank you!!!

Valerie G.
on 3/11/15 8:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

This IS difficult, but it's possible and a full-time job for sure.  The nausea is likely caused by the dehydration.  Continue as you are, kidney stones are next.  I had a 64oz cup that I carried with me everywhere.  I sipped constantly and made my own secret drinking games to achieve my goal.  I sympathize with you having BTDT, but you're seeing already that yourr body doesn't give passes.  It needs what it needs or it reacts accordingly.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics