VSG / Carbs / daily energy levl

VSGjohn23
on 3/4/15 9:18 am

Hi members. I'm 45 yr old male. I have my Vsg surgery scheduled in 3weeks. Yay😀. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on energy level months/ years after surgery. Will the low carb life style make me have low energy level or light headed.  Thanks for all the inspiration from you all.

Amy M.
on 3/4/15 11:23 am, edited 3/4/15 11:24 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I had low energy levels early out.  But like anything else, your body adapts and learns to get energy from your protein intake and it also burns stored fat as energy as well.  I took 4 weeks off for recovery and then my first few weeks back to work felt exhausting.  I felt that eating every few hours and drinking water constantly throughout the day helped my energy.  When I was far enough out I started to incorporate some coffee back into my life as well.  Now, at 7 months out I have more energy than I know what to do with!  I used to be thankful with a desk job but now I find any excuse to get up and walk around the office!

Good luck on your upcoming surgery and best wishes on a speedy recovery!

VSGjohn23
on 3/5/15 9:38 am

Thank you for your comments. Best wishes Amy! 

flwrpwr
on 3/5/15 10:02 am
VSG on 02/23/15

Hi Amy, I will be returning to work on the 11th. It will be the start of the puree week for me. Can u give me food ideas as I go to work from 1pm til 9pm?  My plan is to have my first two meals at home and my two snacks and dinner at  work. 

myforever

califsleevin
on 3/4/15 2:33 pm - CA

I had some of the same concerns as you, which is a good part of the reason why I didn't go with one of those diets, as I couldn't afford their potential side effects (thankfully, our docs never jumped onto the carb-counting bandwagon when that came into fashion a few years ago.) Experience over the 10-12 years that I've been involved with their program, thru my wife's WLS and my own, has shown me that such extremes aren't all that necessary to be successful, and are often counterproductive in the long run as many have problems learning how to eat sustainably for the long term once they lose the weight. If you stick to the normal levels of calories and protein that are typically recommended, your diet will, by default,  be low carb and low fat by any functional standards without going to the extremes that trigger undesirable side effects.

Good luck as you proceed with your journey,

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

VSGjohn23
on 3/5/15 9:41 am

Thank you Califsleevin. My doc is saying my post-op lifestyle should follow the South beach pattern. High protein, low carb.

susan88
on 3/4/15 4:51 pm
VSG on 08/08/14 with

I feel that the low-carb lifestyle actually gives me energy.  I am amazed how good I feel and my energy levels since surgery are higher than I have had in years.  I find that when I introduce sugar and high carb foods into my diet that my energy is a roller coaster.  I was surprised how much energy I had early out from surgery. Stick with your plan and you will be inspired, I promise. 

VSGjohn23
on 3/5/15 9:42 am

Thank you Susan for your thoughts!

Thebiggestloser
on 3/5/15 6:55 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I feel amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics