IS this "normal"?

EZ2BNVS
on 3/4/15 1:27 am, edited 3/4/15 1:51 am
with

I had VSG on 2/24/15 and last night I was able to eat 5 oz. of Greek yogurt and several ounces of water over the course of 30 minutes.  This just doesn't seem restrictive enough to me.  How am I able to consume so much already?  I'm trying to be rational but the thought has crossed my mind-"What if the surgery has no effect on me?". 

Michele H.
on 3/4/15 1:33 am - NJ

Just because you can eat that much, doesn't mean you should.  You will not feel full yet and especially not on liquids or food like yogurt. You are healing and should be very gentle on your staple line.  You should measure your portions according to your doctor's post op diet and only eat the measured amount.  Once you move to pureed and soft food you will feel full and will not be able to eat as much.

Michele

EZ2BNVS
on 3/4/15 1:50 am
with

In hindsight I realize how dumb it was but at the time I was nervous about not getting in enough protein that day.  Bite after bite I was waiting to get that full feeling which never came.  Testing the waters, I guess.  But I understand what you are saying and I will follow more strictly to the guidelines set by my doc (2 oz. of yogurt, pudding or cream soup) and 2-3 protein shakes in between.  Just because I can doesn't mean I should.  I hope I have not ruined or reduced the effectiveness of this "tool" I was given.  Do you think I may have?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/4/15 1:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You won't feel any restriction at first because all of the nerves in your stomach have been cut. Your surgery hasn't failed! As things heal, you'll be able to tell when you're full, but until then it's important to measure your food so you don't hurt yourself.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

EZ2BNVS
on 3/4/15 2:14 am
with
Sparkle- do you think I may have stretched my pouch out already?
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/4/15 2:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Super duper unlikely. Water and yogurt will slide right through your pouch, especially if you had them over the span of half an hour. You should be just fine! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

emelar
on 3/4/15 2:22 am - TX

You're eating liquids.  Even yogurt is mostly water.  You're not going to feel restriction on liquids, maybe not even on mushy/pureed foods.  You WILL feel it when you move to dense proteins.  You have not stretched anything.  Celebrate the fact that your stomach isn't swollen and you can easily get in your liquids and hit that goal.

But you should get into the habit of measuring your food and eating no more than what you've measured out.  Look for "tells" for when you're getting full.  For example, I get a runny nose.  It's a sign that I need to either stop or really slow down.

EZ2BNVS
on 3/4/15 2:48 am
with

Sage advice, thank you Emelar.  I didn't know the feeling of fullness was yet to come.

These replies have given me the push to not be discouraged and to get back on track and stay the course.  

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/4/15 4:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

This seems to be a common thread today.

As everyone has said, the nerves in your stomach have been severed, are still healing and you won't feel the restriction for a few weeks.

It's best not to test your stomach's capacity so early after surgery.  Measure everything and go slowly.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

EZ2BNVS
on 3/4/15 6:47 am
with

Thanks Geek, so far so good today.  I'm following the guidelines but I still feel a little hungry.  I didn't expect that, and that's ruling out all the other possible factors such as thirst, head hunger "are you really hungry?", etc.

Most Active
Recent Topics