Post op recovery with a 16 month old

civilmomma
on 3/5/15 1:28 am
VSG on 03/07/14
On March 5, 2015 at 8:35 AM Pacific Time, NoRegrets4Me wrote:

Thanks so much for the replies. My husband leaves for work at 3:30 am so I'm going to start with converting her crib to the toddler bed and get a side protector immediately. I never thought about teaching her to climb on the couch to change her! This forum is so helpful, thanks again for all the advise!

getting her in a toddler bed will be the best bet.

I did not have a specific lifting restriction.  My almost 2yo was 40 pounds and my surgeon knew that.  he told me to not carry him around - but that I was allowed to lift him if absolutely needed.

We had him in a toddler bed at that point and I would either sit on the floor or have him climb up to me for diaper changes - so I wasn't lifting him very much at all anyways.

My instructions were to avoid doing things that caused me pain...if lifting the kid caused pain - don't do it.  I also had no-exercise-other-than-walking restriction for 6 weeks.  By 3 weeks post op I was climbing around inside the tubes of an indoor playground.

I'd have help ready - but also know that if you are feeling well and healing normally - you probably won't have many issues parenting.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Sasny
on 3/5/15 12:50 pm
VSG on 03/20/12

HI

My kids were 2 and 3 when I had surgery.  I was in the hospital for three nights and when I came home was fine taking care of them. My surgery was on a Tuesday and I remember that first weekend my son took his dirty diaper off and got poop on his carpet and there I was on the floor cleaning it up and wondering where my Florence Nightingale was.  My recovery was very easy and I went back to work on Monday.  Sitting at a desk easier than taking care of two toddlers.  I did lift my two year old out of the crib but did not carry the kids - told them mommy has a boo boo.  Good luck!

Stephanie

NoRegrets4Me
on 3/5/15 9:44 pm
VSG on 04/21/15

Thanks for telling me your experiences I don't want to hurt myself,  but at the same time I have to take care of my daughter.  My husband has decided to take off 2 weeks so I'm feeling much better about it.  I'm very healthy (except for being overweight) and I normally heal fast. So I'm praying for a speedy recovery! 

Most Active
Recent Topics