To much Protein!

Kiwideb
on 2/26/15 5:13 am, edited 2/26/15 5:16 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Could have blown me over with a feather. My NUT told me at my 6wk check I'm getting to much protein.

So why tell me 65gms of protein (I've been so tired, so I've really tried to hit the mark or above the last week and it's helped) if you expect me to only be getting in 40gms?

momsy55
on 2/26/15 5:21 am - ME

I don't know why your NUT said you're getting too much protein.  I'm not a medical person, so I tread lightly with such information.  However, I do know that too much protein can effect the kidneys.  But, what I've been told is that you should drink at least 1 oz of fluid for every gram of protein you eat, as it flushes the residue that can harm the kidneys out, keeping it from building up.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Kiwideb
on 2/26/15 5:30 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Well, that's not too much of an issue - I'm hitting 66-100oz each day. I think she was surprised at that too.

Oh well, I did always aim for the top of the class. LOL.

And here I was thinking I was doing so well, with not eating too much, not hurting myself (well, except for that once - learned that lesson.), getting my water in. Sigh.

hollykim
on 2/26/15 12:20 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 26, 2015 at 1:21 PM Pacific Time, momsy55 wrote:

I don't know why your NUT said you're getting too much protein.  I'm not a medical person, so I tread lightly with such information.  However, I do know that too much protein can effect the kidneys.  But, what I've been told is that you should drink at least 1 oz of fluid for every gram of protein you eat, as it flushes the residue that can harm the kidneys out, keeping it from building up.

I think too much protein harming your kidneys al

pplies to ppl who ALREAd y have kidney problems.

Latina63
on 2/26/15 5:28 am

How can they tell if you have too much protein? Feel dumb lol

Kiwideb
on 2/26/15 5:52 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I've been entering my food intake on My Fitness Pal, so I could monitor. The only trouble is I have to enter all my own recipes as I cook my own food - not eat canned/package versions (well most of the time :) )

MissNexxie
on 2/26/15 6:08 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I was counseled by my dieticians to aim for 1 gram of protein per kg of my ideal weight. I was told to aim for 66-80 grams of protein per day, with matching amount of water (in ounces). Your numbers seem good to me but that's my personal view. I've had much success with higher protein and mid-low carbs per day. Not "low" carb but less carbs, usually under 80 per day.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

TeressaJ
on 2/26/15 8:12 am

I was told to consume 60g per day right after surgery but at 6 months out she changed it to 40-45g per day. They can see protein levels with a blood test. I had to get one to check my protein and vitamin levels at my last check up. Turns out I was excellent on all but vitamin D3 so I was ordered to take a D3 supplement daily. I have to add, I don't always get in my 40-45g of protein, usually I get 25-30g, and my bariatric vitamins made me so nauseous I threw up so I take regular gummy vitamins only 2 or 3 times each week and my levels were all excellent. We are not all the same size or have the same activity level so it makes sense to me that some of us might have different protein/vitamin needs as well. I've never felt better!

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/15 10:04 am

Maybe your NUT isn't up to date with the latest science based nutrition/ Seems to me that your NUT is citing a plan from 20 years ago. Many, many RDs are now extolling the virtues of a much higher protein diet for people who have been obese. Perhaps your NUT is a Nutritarian ( a Dr. Fuhrman follower). If so, that would explain why he/she might want a lower protein level, especially meat based protein.

One of the things you need to learn about is intuitive eating. Listen to your body. Some need more protein. Some less. Do what is right for you within the guidelines of health. Just so you know, I was advised to get a minimum of 80 grams of protein per day during WL. Now that I have had regain and am back in WL mode I am told to get 100 to 120 grams of protein per day. YAY ME! Much easier to stay NOT HUNGRY when eating plenty of protein and a moderate amount of healthy fat!

Kiwideb
on 2/26/15 10:50 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Interesting thoughts. I was quite surprised, I thought protein was crucial for heart and muscle health. I understand they want me to lose weight - the whole point, after all - but I am not struggling to get reach the target they set that was supposed to be healthy. This appeared to surprise her. That I can eat 1/2c not just 1/4 did too.

oh well.

I guess have to refigure things, and see if I can tolerate what she wants, otherwise it's back to more protein for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics