Pre-Op Diet

CJOrtega
on 2/26/15 2:54 am - Davie, FL

I am struggling with the pre-op diet. I feel that my main problem is the portion sizes. I have been very good at cutting all the carbs and making the right choices when choosing food, but the portions I still can not get under control.  I have been on it for the last 2 months and have lost only 3 lbs. My nutritionist says I am doing fine and to increase my protein intake. I am trying so hard and I am sure that the closer I get to my 6 months this will all be but a small hiccup in my journey towards a healthy life.  

Beatriz
on 2/26/15 4:09 am

I'm sorry you are struggling. I always find it interesting to learn other peoples plans. My pre-op diet was only two weeks long and was very strict- a protein shake for breakfast, a protein shake for lunch, and 4 oz meat with a cup of vegetables for dinner. 

Does your doctor require you to lose a certain amount  surgery?

Height: 5'4".    VSG 2/23/15

HW: 257--SW: 237--CW: 207  

CJOrtega
on 2/27/15 12:29 am - Davie, FL

No, but because of our insurance we have to have a 6-month supervised diet with the nutritionist. I think the anticipation it really getting to me. She has told me to try the protein shakes for breakfast. Can you recommend any? 

TruemansMom
on 2/26/15 4:11 am
VSG on 06/24/13

You might also experiment with adding some healthy fats. They can help keep you satisfied and, honestly, calories do not equal calories out and all calories are not created equal. Slice 1/2 an avocado onto a lovely salad with some shrimp and snap peas. Might make you think of summer and make your tummy happy. The most important thing in preop from the surgeon's point of view is keeping the refined carb low so your liver shrinks. And really the last 10 days can do the job just fine. Insurance is another thing. If they want you to lose a certain amount before surgery I htink they are nuts (that is what surgery is for, right?) But if they just wnat you to show your commitment to following a diet, then your nutritionist is right, just keep it up.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

CJOrtega
on 2/27/15 12:32 am - Davie, FL

Thanks so much!! Yes, we talked about healthy choices and my commitment to a healthier lifestyle. By the way now I really want that salad. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/26/15 4:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I found that buying smaller dishes helped me a ton. I have a set of toddler bowls (yes, for real) that I've used since my pre-op diet, and even some tiny silverware that forces me to eat more slowly. A small scoop of tuna salad looks TINY in a regular dish, but when it fills my little one to the top, it "feels" like more.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CJOrtega
on 2/27/15 12:33 am - Davie, FL

Thanks for the advice I am going to get smaller bowls. 

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 2/26/15 5:57 am
VSG on 03/16/15

So far I have been using the fitness pal app. I am learning a lot about caloric dense foods and I have to make hard choices what I eat so I don't feel cheated or hungry. I've been eating a lot of fish. Wild caught salmon and wild caught cod. Chicken breast. Then one day I wanted a burger, so I ate 4 oz burger no bread or roll just the ground meat. Steaming all my veggies just light butter when I really feel that I need it. I just log it all and Weigh all the food on the little plate as stated by the other poster. So far I haven't wanted to choke anyone. 1000 calories goes quick!! Like everyone is telling us. Im trying to keep my eye on the prize. Good luck, were in this together.

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

CJOrtega
on 2/27/15 12:42 am - Davie, FL

Thanks!!!! I have had my moments when I wanted to choke someone especially the people that know I am trying my best to keep focused on the diet and they go and offer me a donut or bread. I really appreciate all the support and it really does help to know your not alone. 

Most Active
Recent Topics